Chapter 62

"You're back?" Sky looked up at Konan who appeared by her side, blood dripping from her cheek. "Got scratched by a cat?"

Konan chuckled, "It's nothing. Luffy... handled everything perfectly fine." She had watched from a distance as he fought bravely against an experienced enemy that should have been impossible to beat. And as she watched him struggle and slowly overcome his limits, she knew he didn't need her to step in. He had grown up beyond recognition.

"Then why do you look so sad?" Sky asked, staring at what anyone else would consider a calm face. She hadn't spent years accompanying her for nothing.

"Do I?" Konan pressed a hand to her face, feeling her rough skin under her palm. "I guess I just feel a little bit lonely."

Sky shook her head, staring beyond Konan's shoulder at the princess hugging the crew happily. She couldn't understand nor relate to Konan's feelings but she did know that the little ball of sunshine would be sad if he heard her. So she simply pat the older woman's shoulder and walked away. "Let's go, we still have work left to do." Her heart ached a little when she saw Konan like that, she hated that uncomfortable feeling. She didn't know what to do to recomfort her.

"Right," Konan hummed, pulling her hood up to blend in to the crowd.

Zoro watched the strange event with narrowed eyes, his thumb rubbing the handle of his katana. He was about to follow them when Nami grabbed his collar and dragged him back, "Let's go find our little captain to celebrate!"

As Konan put a foot into the throne room, she felt a smile form on her face. The King was there, injured but alive, talking to a very familiar woman, the henge couldn't fool her.. "Robin..."

Robin turned in her direction, her face a mixture of relief and mild-anger, "You should have told me you would be here too... Ko."

Konan smiled, pushing her hood away as her appearance changed to the pink-haired teenager. The King narrowed his eyes at the foreign presence, only relaxing when Robin nodded.

"Nice to see you too," Sky rolled her eyes as she waved at Robin. "How's your mission going?"

Robin chuckled, "Thanks to a certain someone, it's gone to hell and back." She imitated straw-hat's silly grin before continuing, "well I've more or less already finished what I was supposed to do though."

Ko nodded, knowing that meant Dragon had received everything he needed to from this mission.

Cobra watched from the side-line, trying to gather clues from their conversation. There was one important word he heard, 'Ko'. There weren't many people using that name, with trademark pinkish hair and a carefree arrogance. He wasn't fooled by her innocent appearance, he knew of her feats, escaping under the current Admiral's nose, repeatedly humiliating and escaping the grasp of Marines, no one dared to underestimate the young girl. However, he didn't expect to actually meet one of the highest ranked Underground informants by chance.

"If I may," he interrupted, making his presence known. "May I know why you have come to my humble abode in these trying times?"

Ko tilted her head, nodding in satisfaction at his posture, he showed the perfect amount of respect while still displaying the stature of a king. She knew her eye had not deceived her. "It will be hard to get the kingdom started again," his head was grim at her comment, "other kingdoms will be watching closely, lusting after any remnants they can salvage, the citizens are tired and will demand reassurance," she listed on, watching the king's face grow more wary by the second.

"What is your point," he gritted his teeth, knowing that she was right. He was an incompetent king that let his kingdom nealy fall to ruin.

"Nothing much," Ko grinned while Sky turned her gaze away, knowing another poor man was about to get scammed.

When Ko walked out of the throne room, her grin reached her ears, a document in hand and a piece of gold twirling between her knuckles. Sky shook her head helplessly, watching as the document merged in her skin. And there went the poor king's fate.

"What are you planning to do?" Ko finally asked the silent Robin.

Robin stilled for a moment before answering hesitantly, "Do you think his offer still stands?"

Konan frowned, trying to recall before it clicked in her head, "Are you planning on joining his crew?" Once upon a time, Luffy had indeed extended the offer to Robin.

Sky's mouth dropped open as she stared at Robin, "Wait, really?"

Robin nodded, waiting for Konan's response. It came in the form of a slap in the back.

"That brat would jump in joy," she smiled gently, before ruffling Robin's hair, her appearance reverting back to Konan.

"I'm afraid my past will come back to cause him trouble." That was the reason she had first refused, the government would stop at nothing to hide the stains of its past.

Konan frowned heavily, before sighing, "You can't live forever in hiding anyway," she could but it wouldn't be a happy life, "just have fun and if you need help, I'll come."

Sky nodded, "Me too!"

"Actually," Konan looked at Sky with a side-grin, "why don't you join the crew temporarily?"

"Why?" Sky whined, "Do you not want me anymore?" Tears gathered as she stared pitifully at Konan.

"I received a letter of summon." She showed a Marine letter addressed to Nanko.

Sky grumbled but nodded nonetheless, she was curious about Konan's little brother anyway.

______________________

"Who the heck are you?" Crocodile looked up from his position on the debris, his body covered in wounds and bruises. He glared at the young man staring down at him with a mischievous grin.

"Nanko at your service sir, your guard for the next month of traveling." He shoved his feet against Crocodile's stomach, his polite words contradicting his sadistic moves.

Hina closed an eye on his unprofessional actions, checking the surroundings instead.

Crocodile tried to summon sand discreetly but Nanko merely smiled before shackling him in Sea Marine. "I'm afraid I can't have you escaping on me." The prisoner tried to shake him off and kick him only to wince as his foot came into contact with the skin that felt like hard rock. "Now, now, that's not a good idea," Nanko's eyes formed crescent moons as he grabbed Crocodile's feet and shackled them too, taking care in tightening them enough for the skin to redden.

"Bastard," Crocodile cursed the smiling face that didn't flinch. He already knew it wasn't going to be a pleasant month.

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, good sir." Nanko plopped a candy into his mouth. "Let's get along well for the next month."

_______________

first chapter of 2022 i guess? yay