Chapter 90 🌞🌞

Nanko frowned as he arrived at the slave auction. It seemed like Charlos hadn't arrived yet, the auction was barely starting to fill out.

"Sir," the guards at the entrance greeted him, they recognized him as a high-ranked Marine officer—they were always welcomed as they provided extra protection.

Nanko waved off their pleasant blabbering, walking straight in. Some people pointed and whispered about him when they thought he wasn't watching. He didn't really care.

He simply started mapping out the place in his head, the entries and exits, and the number of guards. It was simply a matter of time before this auction would be destroyed.

"Hey, can I go backstage?" he smiled charmingly at a female guard who swooned at his appearance.

She stammered her agreement, "Of course, of course you can."

Like that, Nanko easily slipped past her. Numerous cages greeted him as he walked. The people imprisoned there gave him nasty glares with some more daring ones insulting him. "What's a dog like you doing here?" They tried to spit on him to no avail.

Nanko simply smiled, not bothering to answer. He waltzed straight through the rows, glancing at the people around. Some had given up on escaping but most were still full of rage and frustration.

"Oh... what is someone like you doing up here," Nanko paused in front of a large cage, his gaze focusing on a wounded mermaid. As the guards were about to stop him from approaching, he simply glanced at them, showing the badge given to the Celestial's guards and they retreated. "Hello young mermaid."

Camie was shocked to see the young familiar Marine officer. "Nanko-chin?"

Nanko tilted his head, puzzled at being recognized before registering where he had seen her before. "Ohhhh, I remember you," he hummed as he scoured through his memory trying to put a name on this face. "Camie, right?" He had met her a long time ago when he was visiting Fish-man Island, though they hadn't talked.

Camie was overjoyed at seeing him, she waved happily at him, unable to approach him on solid ground with her tail. "What are you doing here?"

Nanko looked around awkwardly before shrugging, "working I guess."

"Right, it's nice to see you again," Camie smiled brightly, she easily remembered the kind but odd stranger who was very fond of sweets.

"How did you end up here?' Nanko asked rhetorically as he knocked out the guards with a swipe of his hand—thin needles flying invisibly. Within seconds, he appeared on the inside of the cell. He seemed to have stepped right through the bars.

Camie touched her collars with tears in her eyes, not noticing the oddity. "I was captured... I really don't want to be a slave."

"No one wants to," Nanko stepped closer before finally looking at the other prisoners. He paused on an old man who was watching them with a flask of alcohol in hand. It was a familiar face Nanko easily recognized.

"What an odd marine officer." Rayleigh commented. The giant beside him seemed to agree as he nodded.

"Well, keep that a secret, alright?" Nanko smiled before putting a hand on Camie's collar. "It's a bit complicated for me to take you out right now cause I'm still working." Under his hand, the distinct click of the collar being opened could be heard. "These collars aren't exactly comfortable, that's all I can do for you right now."

Camie's mouth opened in shock, she couldn't see what he had done but she was overjoyed. The collar was a symbol of absolute submission, once on, they rarely came off.

Meanwhile Rayleigh was also observing the scene with some degree of surprise. "How curious..."

"Just as curious as you being in this cell." Nanko glanced at him with a raised eyebrow—the dark king as a slave, how ridiculous.

"I'm retired," Rayleigh shrugged, as if that justified his presence.

"Sir Nanko!" The female guard from earlier shouted as she came running, "Saint Charlos is demanding your presence."

Nanko sighed, ignoring the shock these words caused in the cell as he pushed open the cell door that was supposed to be locked. "Right, I'm coming."

He turned around to glance at Camie, "See you later." Turning to the guard, he pointed at Camie, "Saint Charlos demanded her collar to be taken off." With this lie, he left. No one would dare question a Celestial's words so it would be fine.

Rayleigh simply laughed, shaking his head. "A marine officer working for a Celestial..." He hadn't expected that.

Meanwhile Camie was puzzled, not knowing what to believe—the kind officer had taken her collar off but at the same time was working for the definition of evil and wicked.

The giant who had been silent until now looked at her, "Enjoy this short-lived freedom I guess."

Meanwhile Nanko walked back to Charlos, using the backdoors, greeting him when he saw him.

Charlos simply shouted at him, "You, where were you?? I took you as a guard simply because my friend recommended you, don't slack off."

Nanko simply smiled through the shouting. The celestial girl he had guarded a long time ago had recommended him to his great dismay.

"Follow me!" He ordered from inside his bubble. "I heard a mermaid will be put on auction today."

As they entered the filled hall, all eyes were on them in an instant. In a glance, Nanko spotted quite a few pirates, parts of the Straw Hats were even presents.

The show then officially began as a pirate was shown on the podium.

Before long the pirate bit off his own tongue, preferring death to a life of obedience.

Charlos snorted derisively, "What a piece of trash."

"Right," Nanko smiled while staring at Charlos, "what a piece of trash."

The next slave presented however caused a general astonishment. "A mermaid!"

Charlos immediately screamed, spit flying through his bubble, "Five hundred million beli! I'll bid five hundred million."

Nanko simply whistled from his seat, spotting the Straw Hats' surprise and despair—they were probably there to save the young mermaid.

It didn't take long for his deduction to be confirmed when Luffy came crashing straight through the walls. "What an entrance." Nanko chuckled, enjoying the sudden chaos as the Straw Hats argued.

"Ahhhh!! Camie!!" He began running in her direction with a wide grin, "There you are! Thank goodness!!" Perhaps Konan should have taught him the rules of this world but then again it was too enjoyable watching Charlos' face twist and turn.

Dropping an unbridled Luffy in a world full of sophistication was a delight to her, to the dismay of everyone else.