Chapter 101 ✊🏻

"Really, now?" Though Nanko was smiling, there was no joy in his eyes. His Haki-coated feet pressed Crocodile down on the ground. "I could kill you for that."

He was treading on thin ice and he couldn't help the grin on his face. "I'm not the only one to know..." He paused, not minding the way the foot on his back dug deeper. "During our little stay at Impel Down, Ace told us quite a few things."

Nanko's lips twitched before his hand gripped Crocodile's throat, bringing him up. "You can tell me more about that later, but first, you should make yourself useful."

With these words, Crocodile felt cold sheets slither from his hand to his throat, forming a tight collar. "Didn't know you were into kinky shit like this..."

Nanko simply smiled, though his grip tightened before he let go at once. "Go help Luffy reach Ace."

Crocodile laughed, his body already dispersing to escape, only to stop when the ice cold collar remained tightly around his neck, preventing him from fully disappearing. "What did you do?"

"Just gave you a little something," Nanko grabbed his chin before smiling and throwing him straight in the middle of the battlefield, not very far from Luffy. With a little time and effort Crocodile could probably escape from his shackles but it would at least distract him for some time.

Nanko glanced up, crossing Akainu's glare. He had been staring for quite some time it seemed. Without breaking eye-contact, Nanko simply raised his middle finger before immediately disappearing into the crowd, narrowly avoiding a magma boulder.

In the midst of chaos, swords clashed against each other as people cried out in anguish and rage.

He could feel a blinding silence settle in, draping over him—a stillness of sorts. His beating heart throbbed in his ears, as his eyes slowed and glanced down. His feet were stepping on soft fabric, sinking in a pit of flesh. He stopped.

Around him, Marines and Pirates were fighting, bloodshot eyes glaring at each other, skin tainted a stark red. A heavy smell draped over the battlefield—blood, sweat, tears... smells intertwined with each other to a nauseating degree.

A body fell to his feet, blood splashing his face. His finger wiped the warm substance as he looked down. Red eyes were staring straight at him, filled with unwavering hatred. Their owner was bleeding out, legs missing, bones glaringly apparent.

This was war—not the pretty speeches filled with glorious purposes. Cannon fodder thrown to the wolves...

Nanko bent down to his height. He didn't avoid the spit on his face.

"Kill... me, Marine dog," the words were uttered with utter loathing, through the pain. He was dying, but he wanted his light breath to be taken with honor.

Nanko stared at him for a few seconds before nodding mutely, a kunai appearing in his hand and slashing his carotid. Thin threads of chakra numbed the area. He would die in a few minutes at best, but it wouldn't be too painful. That was the best Nanko could do for him. He didn't have any right to mourn him, so he wouldn't. Now wasn't the time for these useless emotions of his.

In the corner of his eyes he spotted two trembling young men, hiding behind remains of walls. As they observed the battlefield with a trembling face, they failed to notice the huge boulder freefalling in their direction.

Nanko walked in their direction, afterimages forming in his wake. When he arrived in front of them, he gave them a nod before punching the arriving boulder away. "Be careful you two."

As they visibly registered what had nearly befallen them, they scurried away from the boulder, bowing deeply in gratitude and apologizing all at once for being cowards and not fighting.

"Names?"

"Koby and Helmeppo."

Nanko nodded, "Don't blame yourselves for not participating in this butchery, your humanity will thank you later on."

Koby stared at him with a twinkle in his eyes, before he nodded gratefully.

After making sure they were alright, Nanko was about to go when a powerful voice covered the battlefield.

"IF YOU CALL YOURSELVES PIRATES THEN CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF WHAT TO BELIEVE-" Whitebeard's voice resounded throughout the battlefield as he called his comrades to battle. "Those who follow me, BE READY TO LOSE YOUR LIVES!"

Nanko stared up at the faraway man who had been stabbed in the stomach at an unknown time, his face somber with conviction. Considering the crewmate crying not far from him with a blade in his hands, Nanko quickly deduced what had happened—he had betrayed his captain.

Perhaps to reassure his comrades or to finally bring the battle to a close, Whitebeard was finally entering the battlefield.

Nanko—or the butterflies acting as his eyes—didn't miss the sweat covering the old pirate's brows nor his pale face. He was only acting tough, but he probably already had one foot in the grave. But he had to endure and show a strong front, if only to boost his side's morale. As the captain, that was his burden to bear.

Things were beginning to look up for the pirates as the strongest man alive joined the fight—full of hope, their attacks increased. Earthquakes appeared left and right as Whitebeard's powers shook the world.

"It will begin soon," Nanko mumbled, sensing the tremor under the floor as huge walls soon surfaced, encircling the bay. The pirates were stuck on the frozen bay, unable to advance further. The walls were made of thick layers of iron, impossible for the average pirate to destroy. And according to the data he had seen, it could probably endure Whitebeard's punches.

But that was only the beginning. After cutting off their path, only despair awaited. A dozen magma fists began to fall down from the sky. It melted everything on its path, destroying the ice they stood on and the boats they could have used to retreat. The only thing left to do was abandon themselves to despair and watch as magma fell on them, as their skin melted off along with their bones, leaving nothing but a pile of molten flesh.

Watching the scene from above, Sengoku was smiling in satisfaction, the pirates were trapped, at the mercy of their attacks. "Proceed with the execution!" Everything was going according to plan.

Nanko jumped up on the raised wall, staring down at the disaster. Screams of suffering echoed all around.

___________________________

Alrighty, I'll be publishing one chapter per day till we reach the end of the Marineford Arc (probably in 6 or 7 chapters) :D