Chapter 3

She spent the next few weeks, in the peaceful town, chatting and interacting with the 'Red-Hair pirates' and Luffy who quickly enough took to calling her, his sister. Something she was sure would infuriate his grandfather if he knew, only he didn't.

"Na-chan!" She hummed in answer, holding her arms out to catch the bullet-like child.

"What happened to your cheek?" she asked even though she already knew.

"Eh... I... I... Shanks and his crew weren't taking me seriously."

Sighing at the teary-eyed child, she ruffled his hair, "that is no reason to injure yourself Luffy." Seeing him nod hurriedly, she hugged him to show she wasn't mad which earned her a bright smile from the future pirate.

She sat at the counter, next to a blabbering Luffy, commenting once in a while to show she was listening to his adventures.

Soon enough, familiar pirates filtered in, taking their usual places and ordering alcohol after greeting her, while their captain sat next to Luffy.

"Good afternoon, Konan."

"Hello, Shanks," she replied with a nod.

After they once again refused his pleas to join their crew, Luffy turned his head to his silent sister. "Konan..."

"I can't do anything if they don't want to," she replied, knowing he still wouldn't give up.

"Luffy," interrupted Benn Beckman, Shanks' first mate, "You should try to understand captain's feelings. Being a pirate is interesting but it's also a dangerous life to lead. It's not always easy. Do you understand? He doesn't purposely tease your ambitions of being a pirate."

"I don't understand! Shanks just takes me for an idiot!"

"Anchor!" teased Shanks with a smirk.

"See!!"

"Luffy, come here," Konan said with a smile. He pouted before obediently sitting on her lap, letting her play with his hair.

"As he said, being a pirate is hard, but so is life. If you wish to become one, don't let anyone stop you."

"Thank you Na-chan!" he grinned brightly, leaning in her touch. All the pirates smiled proudly as they looked at their little admirer.

"Now go eat your food." He nodded before jumping to his stool beside Shanks, happily wolfing down the food neatly presented by Makino. When he ate a suspiciously familiar twirling fruit, Konan winced when she finally remembered what it was.

Just as she was about to open her mouth, the door to the bar was kicked open with a loud "Excuse me!!!"

Konan laughed as she heard "excuse not accepted" from the back.

The rude person walked in, putting his hand on the counter, between Shanks and Luffy after insulting the rest of the crew. "We are bandits. We're not here to cause any trouble. We just wanna buy 10 barrels of sake." Glancing at his posture and his arrogant eyes, Konan straightened up.

"I'm so sorry, but we're out of sake," Makino replied with a sorry smile.

"I'm sorry, looks like we've finished all the sake here, sorry about that," Shanks interrupted with a sheepish smile before extending a bottle, "Here if you don't mind, take the last bottle."

When he broke the bottle against Shanks' head, Konan moved faster than he could blink, holding a paper-turned-kunai to his throat. Her eyes narrowed dangerously at the sweating bandit before whispering in his ear, "I'll be merciful, because there is a kid, just disappear from my sight."

She watched him obediently leave before turning around to face the gob-smashed Luffy, staring at her with stars in his eyes. "That was amazing Na-chan!" She laughed awkwardly before returning to her seat.

"He got you good captain!" his crew started laughing and before long their captain joined, still soaked in sake from head to toes.

"Why are you laughing! Why didn't you stand up and fight!!" Luffy shouted at them, his indignant feeling bursting through his voice.

"I know how you feel, but it's just a bottle of sake..."

"I don't want to see you again, coward!" he spoke through gritted teeth, intent on leaving. Shanks grabbed his arm and his mouth fell as he saw Luffy's arm stretch a few meters away. Their eyes widened, a few spitting out their drinks as they quickly connected the dots.

Lucky Roux opened their chest to find it empty and after a quick question to Luffy, they found out that he ate the Gomu Gomu no Mi devil fruit.

After discovering that he would never be able to swim again, his head dropped low in depression, before he was brought into a hug by Konan.

"Don't worry, you can still be a pirate," at her words, he looked up to her with hope shining in his eyes. "You just have to learn how to properly use your power, as for swimming, just find crewmates that can!"

A few weeks passed without much event and she decided it was time for her to leave. She spent two months with Luffy and it was far more than she had intended to.

Wrapping his limbs a few times around her, which would have crushed anyone weaker than her, Luffy wailed.

Hugging a crying Luffy, she looked at the gathered Red Hair pirates and nodded before crouching down to Luffy's height. "Here," she stated as she gave him a pressed flower paper, "always keep it on you. If you ever find yourself in danger, then and only then, take it out and tear it in two. No matter how far I am, no matter what I am doing, I'll come to help you." After making sure he nodded, she bent down and kissed his forehead. "Good boy."

"You don't have any boat, how will you leave?" Luffy candidly asked after having regained his bearing, tears and snot still running freely on his face.

She smiled at him before taking one step off the dock, freely falling to the sea before a thousand papers materialized and gathered to form wings, sticking to her back, allowing her to float above the water.

"You ate a devil fruit too?!" The rest of the pirates sweat-dropped, he only realized that now.

Not exactly, but she didn't feel the need to correct him, she had long since decided to pretend it was the case. It was easier to explain. Plus the only difference being that seawater, specifically, didn't weaken her. But water wasn't exactly a perfect match for her paper.