Chapter 110

—A few weeks later—

"Have you come here to repent?" There was irony in his voice, a bitter edge that didn't fail to make itself known.

The room was dark, piles of papers towering on the desk, hiding one tired old man.

"Unfortunately, no. Fleet Admiral," she answered, sitting down on the creaking sofa, making herself comfortable—perhaps too comfortable all things considered.

"Then why are you here? Konan." Heavy Haki settled on her shoulder as Sengoku emerged from behind the piles of papers, soon sitting opposite her.

They both stared at each other, silence sitting heavy between them.

With a sigh, Konan broke the tension. "I have come to propose a deal."

"What makes you think I'll hear you out," his voice was even, but the air felt suffocating. "What makes you think you even have the right to sit opposite me? As a result of your actions, thousands will suffer."

She didn't answer. The new wave of piracy was terrible, washing over islands of innocents, plundering and taking over the lives of these people that hadn't asked for it. Because she had chosen to save the life of her brother, a lot of people would have to suffer for it.

Sengoku had fought to protect the lives of innocents, trying to make an exemple out of Ace, to extinguish the fires of piracy.

Konan had fought to protect the lives of her family.

One fought for a grand cause, allowing evil for the sake of the greater good, while the other fought for a terribly humane reason, one as simple as family.

As a result of this one choice, things had taken a drastic turn.

Because while some pirates simply yearned for freedom and adventure, protecting and defending those they met on their ways, most strived to satiate their greed, to exploit the weak... and now the war had opened up the way for a new terrible generation of criminals.

While Marines weren't all innocent either, while they abused their powers in some situations, mindlessly obeying the worst of humans—Celestials... they had one major duty—to protect those who couldn't protect themselves.

"This is why I have come to meet you," she started, "In my time here, I have seen the corruption rotting amongst the ranks, have witnessed the mindless obedience to an elite that treats humans as cattle. The Marine is rotting within, struggling to obey its most simple principle of protecting people."

"Then why didn't you do anything? What's the point of all of this now." Sengoku retorted through gritted teeth. He had grown disillusioned with the World Government over the course of his career, losing his sense of purpose faced with giants of corruption who refused to budge against their own interests, willing to sacrifice innocent people in order to save face.

Konan shook her head, "Uproot them and others will simply replace them, I am not interested in this pointless fight, I already tried once. As long as humans remain flawed, even the most perfect of institutes built on a most honorable ideal will crumble sooner or later."

Sengoku clenched his fist, not disagreeing or agreeing with her. "What do you suppose we do then? Watch and cry?"

Without missing a beat she responded, "I have come to you to propose to you my services." Seeing his eyebrow twitch in bafflement, she continued, "Now that Whitebeard is dead, all the islands under his protection will be overcome with pirates. In addition to them, the Marine is grandly understaffed, and underprepared to face this new wave of piracy."

"Thanks to whom? Are you here to taunt and mock us?"

Konan frowned, shaking her head, "As a pirate myself and former Marine officer, I know that the Marines are a necessary though flawed institute. People need protection and order, not everyone yearns for freedom and thrills the way pirates do." While some islands were under Pirate protection, most still needed the Marines to protect them.

"Go on."

"My powers allow me to supervise over a hundred different areas, and teleport myself in an instant."

Sengoku hummed, not outwardly displaying any surprise at the news.

"I can provide my services for a year or two, to give the Marine enough time to reorganize and prepare." She proposed, listing off, "I will fend off pirates who come with ill intentions, for the islands that need it."

"If you are so intent on protecting innocent people, you know what would be really useful?" There was an innocent undertone to his question as he threw his bait, "Getting rid of the big heads."

She stilled at the silent provocation, before answering, "If even you can't do it, what makes you think I can?"

He looked at her silently for a few seconds before sighing, she was already offering something she didn't need to, he shouldn't get greedy. "Alright, suppose I do trust you with this mission, what would you need?"

She shrugged, "Nothing much, just a detailed list of the islands most in need of protection right now." That was something she could know herself but- "And a guarantee that you or the Marine won't try to touch me during this time as it would be very counterproductive.... For now that will be all."

Sengoku rubbed his forehead, letting all the deep etched tiredness show for a few seconds before he nodded. "Alright, guess I'll have to postpone my retirement for now." Having a watchguard for over a hundred islands at once sounded like not too bad a proposition.

"Do we have a deal?" Konan asked.

They would have to work out the finer details like how the higher-ups would feel about this, but well not everything would have to be known by everyone.

And just like that a somewhat rocky and uncertain alliance was formed, unbeknownst to anyone.

As Konan disappeared from his office, Sengoku let himself slouch on his sofa, sighing heavily. He didn't know if this temporary truce would prove to be the right decision. But it was true that they were in over their heads and desperately needed someone with her powers. Explaining to the general public would be a hassle, but time would settle things.

Meanwhile Konan opened her eyes again on Shanks' boat, feeling the memories of her clone come back at once. She hadn't been foolish enough to go directly to him, not wanting to tempt fate. She knew Sengoku's personality enough to take this gamble, but did not trust him enough to go directly. After all, while he wanted to protect civilians, it was true that she was probably high on their hit list currently.

But she had to try. While she did not want to watch Ace die, that didn't mean she was alright with condemning innocent people. She had to take responsibility for her actions.

"Did what you had to do?" Shanks' voice cut through her thoughts as he sat down beside her on the deck.

Konan hummed, "Yeah." As she said so, flurries of papers detached themselves from her, forming black butterflies that floated away to their respective destinations. They could each form clones if necessary. That meant that unless a strong opponent appeared, they would manage on their own.

"Want some?" Shanks offered some candy which she swiftly took. She never refused candies. Glancing at her bandaged arms, he winced, "Do they hurt?"

She shrugged, "Nothing unbearable." They ached when she moved them. Woke her up in cold sweat more often than her nightmares did. But apart from the constant pain that felt like sharp knives carving its next masterpiece, making her want to rip her arms off... it was alright.