Chapter 112

"He left??" Luffy whined, "Already? Without telling us?" He leaned against Konan's hand as she untangled his hair.

Ace cursed under his breath, muttering a colorful string of words, preparing his revenge for the next time he would see 'the bastard who fled without a single goodbye'.

Konan simply smiled, "You'll see him again one day, don't worry." Her hands finally worked out the last knot in Luffy's hair, ruffling them once again for good measure before letting go. "And while I'm glad to see you both in good health, I also have to leave soon."

Luffy immediately stilled, turning his head slowly in her direction, tears gathering on the edge of his eyes as he pursed his lips. "Can't you stay with us a little longer? You could help train us..."

Rayleigh shook his head from where he leaned against a tree. He had generously offered them a few hours of respite because he knew Konan was leaving.

As he observed the situation Rayleigh couldn't help but chuckle in amazement. He couldn't quite connect the image of the brave young man who fought with deathly grit in a hopeless war to protect his brother to the whiny boy practically glued to his sister's side.

Konan was used to Luffy's antics, and she didn't let his puppy eyes fool her. He had a sly side to him that few knew of and he often fully displayed it in her presence to get what he wanted. This time however, she couldn't indulge him, not when her fingers still ached from the tedious efforts it took to untangle his hair, not when she had a bright red target on her back and little to no means of defense.

Ace seemed to sense her decision had already been made because he sighed and pulled Luffy away from her. "Luffy."

He had had enough time to fully contemplate the events of the war. He agonized over how foolish he had been, how complacent he had grown, how arrogant he had been, rushing head first into a trap. If only he had fully mastered Haki, perhaps the outcome could have been different, perhaps they wouldn't have lost so much, so many.

The Whitebeard Pirates were now only a shell of what they had been—they had lost their home, and sun.

Not a day passed by without him thinking of Whitebeard... They were all grieving, coming to terms with what had been lost in the war. Maybe one day they would gather again but not for now. He needed to get stronger first.

Luffy gave up with a sigh. "I know." The childishness faded away as he clenched his fist, "They're too strong for the current me." He gritted his teeth, the image of blazing red magma headed his way bright in his mind. If he had been stronger, he could have protected them. He wouldn't have to watch helplessly as she lost both of her arms to protect her foolish brothers.

"I know," he repeated before hugging Konan tightly, "The next time we see each other, you'll see, I'll be a lot stronger!" He grinned brightly.

Ace nodded solemnly, agreeing silently.

"Stay safe and take care of each other, you both."

This immediately triggered their childish sides as they pulled out their tongues at each other. That only made Konan giggle before she hugged both of them and let them go.

"Rayleigh," she looked at him, "I'll leave them to you."

Rayleigh nodded with a sadistic grin, "Don't worry, I'll take care of them."

And thus she left, hugging them tightly one last time before disappearing in a flurry of papers.

She reappeared on a deserted island, slumping against a tree silently. In front of her, the ocean calmly spread over the sand before retreating, repeating the pattern endlessly and tirelessly.

She observed the horizon, ignoring the tree barks that dug into her back, ignoring the soft rustling of leaves behind her. Without moving her wrist, a few kunais flew from her hand, resulting in a loud thud. A beast fell a few feets from her, dead.

She turned her head to stare at its dilated pupils before trying to push herself up. Her arms trembled under the weight of her body—she gritted her teeth refusing to accept her current state. Her muscles tensed, struggling to obey her commands, and merely seconds after, she crumbled back down against the tree like a puppet whose strings were cut.

A wet chuckle escaped her mouth as she stayed still, not moving from her pathetic state. Without her papers controlling her arms she was powerless. A crippled soldier was as good as dead. Was this what had become of her? The moment her chakra reserves drained she would become lamb waiting to be slaughtered.

Her vision blurred slightly as a crushing frustration overcame her.

She tried again to push herself up, willing her trembling arms to stop, to no avail. This time though she lasted longer, sweat started to form on her forehead, and just as she thought she could get up, her arms suddenly gave up under her. She fell. And fell. And again she tried. And again she fell. The pain that spread with each attempt only sharpened her mind and determination.

Her vision was blurry and she could taste the salt on her lips but that barely mattered to her. She wanted to scream, to beat the weakness out of her arms. She loathed the very sight of her quivering muscles.

She didn't know how much time had passed before she finally gave up and stayed lying down on the dirt. Her eyes were closed. She had lost control over her own body, how pathetic was that? She couldn't stay like that. She refused to. But what could she do?

An unknown amount of time later a gentle butterfly fluttered above her, circling her unmoving figure before she finally opened her eyes. The butterfly silently opened up into a flying note—How is it going? You said you'd be back for dinner, is everything okay?

Konan lips curved upward as she read the note, chuckling over the awkward handwriting. Papers slid under her to push her upward, as she forcefully rubbed her eyes, allowing papers to hide the redness under her eyes.

Staying still was useless, she had to keep moving. She had had enough time to lament what was lost. Her enemies wouldn't wait for her to grieve. 

_________________

i'm still alive yay :D 

andddd i passed the exam to enter my desired field of study TwT i'm so relieved and happy