Chapter 96

"So you're Konan..." Rayleigh twirled his glass, staring at the woman calmly sipping across from him.

"That's correct," Konan hummed, enjoying the sweet taste.

"Konan-" Shakky came from the backroom of the bar, "You should rest more, your injuries aren't fully healed yet..."

Konan nodded, though she didn't move. She had spent the night at the bar but she still had a lot of things to do. Ace's execution was coming up while her butterflies still hadn't found the Straw Hats. She did have a vague idea as to where Luffy was though.

"It's fine, young people are full of energy," Rayleigh chuckled, downing his glass with one loud exhale before turning to Shakky, "Have they all left?"

Shakky shook her head, "The Marines have all left but some pirates remain." Shakky answered as she climbed up a ladder to access some hidden bottles. "What will you do now, Konan?"

"I will probably disappear for a while," Konan spoke, staring off into the distance. The only reason she had reappeared so soon was to protect Luffy, now she had no reason to stay in the limelight.

Shakky suddenly stumbled, about to fall when she felt her back hit a feather like-cushion. She looked beneath her to see a makeshift paper mattress had appeared. "Thanks."

Konan nodded, lowering her raised arm. Shakky probably wouldn't have been injured but it would have still hurt.

"You know," Rayleigh interrupted, knowing Shakky was fine, "Shanks once visited me a while ago..." He propped his elbow against the bar, gauging her reaction, "He told me about a bright little boy he had met and his mysterious sister."

Konan chukled. "I didn't know... But then again I'm not surprised." Shanks liked talking.

"I'm glad I finally got to meet you, Konan."

"The feeling is shared," she replied. She had read plenty of stories about his time as the Dark King—he was an impressive man. Even after retiring he wasn't to be underestimated. His partner was similarly in a league of her own, Shakky—the former Empress of Amazon Lily and a former pirate.

"I would love to stay longer but I have to go," Konan cut short their discussion. She could sense her parallel self—Nanko—was getting up to something.

"Wait, look at this!" Shakky ran up to them, shoving a newspaper in their face. "Something big is about to happen."

Rayleigh took the newspaper, reading the big title. "Execution of Portgas D. Ace. A war against the Whitebeards?"

Konan clenched her hand. It was finally announced, the clock was ticking.

"That old man is still full of energy..." Rayleigh commented, staring at Whitebeard's raised fist.

"Right... He is going to wage a war against the government..." Shakky mumbled, leaning against Rayleigh's shoulder. She then turned towards a somber Konan. "I remember you traveling with Fire Fist for a while, are you going to...?"

Konan nodded, "I can't exactly leave him to die like that..."

Shakky shook her head, understanding her decision, "I wish you good luck."

"Thanks," Konan walked toward the exit, turning around to bid them farewell. "Thank you for your hospitality."

"See you again maybe," Rayleigh waved her goodbye along with Shakky. Once she left he turned towards Shakky, "What an intriguing person."

Shaky nodded, "She's very different from her brother but I quite like her."

Meanwhile Konan felt a paper tear from a very far away place. Within a few seconds she appeared in front of a still injured Luffy who jumped to hug her the moment she appeared.

"Konan! I was worried you were taken too." He rubbed his face against hers, before suddenly putting some distance.

A look at his face told her she probably wouldn't like what he was about to say.

"Ace is going to be executed." His trembling voice translated his worry and panic. He started pacing, before asking an old woman who was bewildered by Konan's sudden appearance. "What do I do, where are they holding this execution?"

Konan cut in, answering instead of Gloriosa, knowing better than anyone the details. "The plaza of Mariejoa, home of marine headquarters. In six days."

"How long does it take to get to the Sabaody archipelago from here?" Luffy asked, wanting to gather his companions first.

"Longer than a week," Gloriosa answered.

Konan glanced around, not taking long to identify the island, Amazon Lily—the Island of Women. Quite a distance away from the Sabaody Archipel.

"How long would it take to get to Ace from here then?" Luffy continued his barrage of questions.

"To Impel Down, it would take a week by pirate ship or four days by marine vessel." As Gloriosa explained, Konan stared at her little brother who was very much ready to jump headfirst into a war for his brother.

"Luffy..." She spoke when she saw him take Ace's vivre card out.

"I want to go and save Ace!" Luffy stared at her with unwavering determination, "Please don't try to stop me." He knew he was no match for those admirals or the ones they had fought recently but if his presence could increase Ace's chances of survival, he wouldn't think twice.

Konan wanted to reason with him, to tie him there and keep him safe, tell him that this war was on another caliber that he would be nothing but an ant ready to be stepped on by giants. But seeing his blazing spirit she knew that nothing she could say would stop him from going.

"Konan, please help me get there," Luffy turned to her, staring at her with burning conviction.

And Konan couldn't say no. "Would your Empress be willing to help him?" She asked Gloriosa. She knew that Boa Hancock was given a warship to get to the execution as one of the Warlords of the Sea. That would be the best option for Luffy as she couldn't teleport with him and officially Nanko was too far for him to intervene.

Hearing that, Luffy got ready to run to where Hancock was, only to be stopped when someone ran in to alert them, "Empress-sama collapsed."

Konan stayed behind, sending butterflies out to check the situation. Just as she had expected, a Marine ship was waiting a few kilometers away from the island. She materialized beside Luffy, ignoring the wary Empress. Judging from Luffy's grin, it seemed like the persuasion had gone well.

"Who are you?" Hancock pointed a finger at her, glancing back and forth between Konan and Luffy.

Luffy waved away her worries in an instant, "That's my sister."

Konan wanted to blatantly laugh when she saw Hancock's demeanor change in an instant; she suddenly became shy and meek, cheeks flushed in embarrassment, a stark contrast from the previous Empress who could kill with her glare alone.

"I'm sorry I didn't know," Hancock apologized, bowing her head slightly. That was potentially her future sister-in-law, she had to treat her well.

Konan saw through her intentions in an instant. Though she had to say she pitied her a little bit, Luffy was a little oblivious in romance-related matters.

"It's fine," Konan smiled. "I'm grateful you're willing to help Luffy."