Chapter 9

With practiced ease, Konan dived through the forest, easily avoiding any branches despite her wings being 2 meters large. When she felt the black-haired boy on her back grip her shoulder tighter, she smirked, diving down a cliff with her wings folded, enjoying the powerful gust of wings running through her hair before unfolding them and with a few flaps changed drastically her direction to instead fly above the sea at the same heart-throbbing speed. She twirled a few times, enjoying the excited shouts from the boy on her back more than the actual flying she had done more than a thousand times. When she saw his hand extend toward the water surface, she lowered her flying height, allowing him to put his hand in the refreshing and calm water.

She pretended not to feel the droplets of tears wetting her coat's back, and didn't comment on the muffled cries of the brave little boy: not willing to show his weak side to his brothers, he kept it bottled up, accumulating panted up stress and frustration. Not dropping her speed, she flew in a straight line, keeping her silence but showing her support by silently grabbing the hands held around her neck. If he didn't want to tell her, she wouldn't push him.

"Want to see something?" she voiced out with a glint in her amber eyes. Feeling more than seeing him nod, she waved her hand and smiled as she heard him gasp. It was a trick she developed to calm the children during the war. Paper puppets, too weak for fights but entertaining enough for children forced to grow up far too fast.

Before his stunned eyes, papers started gathering in an oval form before breaking out, dispersing to form a dragon double her size with imposing wings that towered over their form, shadowing a whole part of the ocean. The paper dragon narrowed its silver eyes at them before flapping his black wings and lifting haughtily its head causing an amused chuckle from the boy on her back. "Want to ride him?" At her words, his head snapped to her so fast she thought he might break his neck.

"I...I can ride him?!" he asked his mouth agape, hope shining clear through his words.

"Of course, if he approves, it will be our secret," she whispered in his reddened ear. When he nodded heatedly, she almost burst out laughing but instead kept it in, watching as he turned to her paper dragon with profound respect shining in his eyes.

"Can I..." he stopped, sending a fleeting gaze her way for confirmation before continuing, "Can I climb on your back? Please!" He bowed slightly, missing the way Konan's eyes shone with a hint of mischievousness.

When he doubtfully lifted his head, he saw a majestic black wing extended just before his eyes, making him light up and smile brighter than she had ever seen him.

He didn't hesitate another second before jumping on the offered wing, quickly making his way to the dragon's head to sit down, grabbing its horns with both hands to steady himself.

Ace tugged on the horns to control the directions and he quickly enough became a master at flying under the amused eyes of Konan who chose to sit on the water instead of just floating around, a feat which would have no doubt astonished the boy, had he not been so enthralled and engrossed by the experience.

Happy to have eased up a few of the boy's troubles, Konan smiled as she flew back with a sleeping boy on her back before gently putting him on his bed next to an already sleeping Luffy.

"Ready?" she asked as she saw Sabo gazing out at the star-filled sky. When he nodded, she bent down to allow him to climb before jumping out the window and unfolding her wings.

Konan sent a glance at the boy deep in thought but didn't comment, waiting for him to gather his thoughts.

"Do you have any family?" Sabo finally asked, his tiny hands clenching her shoulders.

"I used to have one," Konan answered in a wistful voice as she remembered her parents. Murdered before her eyes. She didn't remember much about them truthfully. Only that they loved her, that her mother used to sing her to sleep, and that her father's hugs were warm and safe.

"I... I was born in a family for whom honor is everything," he spat with great distaste as if the words themselves burned his tongue. "I'm only a spawn for them to gain more power, always was, always will be," his voice turned lower and lower, each words stealing a bit of his confidence away. He hid his face in the crook of her neck, finding comfort in her soft hair and her sweet candied perfume.

"If you don't want to become their puppet, become strong-" Konan glanced up at the sky, a distinct memory flashing clearly through her mind, "stronger than them. Then, and only then, they won't dare touch you, nor your loved ones..."

With power comes the ability to protect what you hold dear. The world is unfair, only the strong are respected. She learned that the hard way.

He silently but fervently nodded, his thin arm stretching out toward the moon, his small fingers spread wide to cover the luminary, before he clenched them in a determined fist.

With a big grin, Sabo detached himself from her neck and took in a large breath before shouting in the dead of the night, "One day, I'll be free you'll see!"

__________________

"You're already leaving Na-chan?!" Luffy screeched when she announced her departure, his eyes wide with tears already gathering at the rim.

"These two weeks have been greatly enjoyable but I have things to do and places to be," she conceded, not daring to look at the little devil's eyes, in case she was persuaded to stay longer than she should.

When her gaze fell on the two stubborn little boys, her lips tilted up. Ace was sharpening a wooden spear, not looking at her but she could see him looking when he thought she couldn't see. As for Sabo, he was awkwardly shifting on his feet, staring at her intently.

"Come here you two," she said, motioning for the two. After a bit of internal struggle, they both walked to stand before her.

"Here for you two," she handed both of them a pressed flower, similar to Luffy's own, only on those, their names were elegantly written. "If you ever find yourselves in danger, tear these in two. But don't use it otherwise. Okay?"

They both nodded, gazing skeptically at the flower but not refusing it.

Luffy didn't bother explaining it's true use and instead wrapped himself around his sister, rubbing his head against her cheek.

Konan extended her arms and smiled slightly when they immediately scurried to hug her with Luffy in the middle. 

After he finally conceded and let go, she bent down and left a kiss on each of their foreheads, smiling when the two boys blushed, a stark contrast with Luffy who leaned against her touch and gladly returned the favor.

She bode her farewell before leaving. It was time to go find the 'Devil Child'.

_______________

I really want to go sky diving with Konan too (。・//ε//・。)