Chapter 99 🌲🤶🏻🎁

"Nanko," Hina jumped to his side, grabbing his wrist. "Do you remember the prophecy we heard back on Fish-Man Island?" There was an underlying panic and urgency in her voice that got covered by the general cheering—Nanko heard it crystal clear.

"I do." Nanko smiled at her, "Don't worry Hina."

"How could I not worry?" Her grip tightened. "You can still go back, they won't notice-" she started rambling.

"Hina." Nanko cut her firmly. "This is something I have to do."

Hina's breath hitched, a wave of panic hitting her. That prophecy was so long ago she had come to forget about it, until now.

Nanko knocked his forehead against hers. The sharp pain brought her back to her senses. "I'll be careful." He pinched her cheeks, "We'll see each other on the other side of this war."

Hina clenched her fists painfully before exhaling. "Please be careful."

"Take care of yourself, princess."

She merely nodded, hugging him tightly before letting go and going back to her place.

Nanko turned away from the sight, concentrating on the powerful presence he could feel beyond the horizon, approaching at high speed. Few noticed the butterflies fluttering about in the skies, blending in with the sky. Their wings fluttered innocently, flying over the whole area.

Doflamingo smirked while gazing up. "Looks like our cute little Ko has set her paws here." His gaze turned to the shadows surrounding the battlefield, the unnoticed corners, but no spots of bright pink could be seen, she wouldn't be found that easily, but she was watching, that he was sure of. "Watch then," he laughed, cracking his knuckles. "Better hide carefully, little butterfly." It wouldn't be fun otherwise.

Meanwhile Nanko was simply watching the door from which Ace would emerge soon. All eyes were driven on that spot as people prepared for his arrival. Cameras were turned on.

"Ace..." Nanko stared at the pirate being escorted by two marines, forced down on his knees. He was in bad shape, bleeding, and silent. Luffy hadn't succeeded in saving him in time. At least that meant that Luffy was far from the battlefield.

Nanko glanced up at Garp who was turned away from the criminal. He would have to face the consequences of his choice sooner or later though, there was no turning away from this fight.

Time seemed to pass by in an awfully slow manner as the eyes of the world watched with bated breath. All speculated as to whether Whitebeard would show up and whether he was strong enough to face the Marine.

Nanko gazed around the bay, before turning his sight on the highest point where three men were sitting, with varying degrees of boredom. He stopped on the middle figure—a man with a carved frown, and arrogance seeping from his bones. "Akainu..." Nanko didn't forget the blood debt he owed that man. His bloodlust slipped through quietly, hissing at its target.

Above the crowd, Akainu felt a shiver run down his spine. He had many enemies that he didn't care for, but few could trigger his fighting instincts. His old scars started aching, especially the one running down his back.

"Men, I have something crucial to tell you all," Sengoku appeared beside Ace, his voice resounding through Nanko's head with a dawning fatality.

Nanko knew what he was about to say, and he had half a mind to put a kunai through his head before he could mutter another word. He knew that the moment Ace's heritage was revealed, whether he would survive through the day or not, he would spend the rest of his life bearing the legacy of his father.

"-Your father is none other than the pirate king, Gol D Roger !"

Silence fell before a wave of chaos hit the world. The blood of the pirate king still lives on.

Nanko gritted his teeth, watching as Ace's face morphed into one of shame. Even after all those years, he continued to live in his father's shadow.

Nanko closed his eyes, receiving at the same time as Sangoku the news of the Gates of Justice opening. Before long, a fleet of boats appeared on the horizon.

A few heads turned toward the bay as they felt something surging from the depth of the ocean. Nanko simply snorted, "What a grandiose entrance..." His words were muffled by the sudden noise of three boats popping up from underwater.

Konan vaguely heard Ace shout at his family to go back, something about bearing the consequences of his actions. But there was one nuance Ace had failed to remember—he had to be alive to bear the consequences of his recklessness.

Whitebeard seemed to have the same thoughts as his hands extended on both sides, his fingers sinking into the fibers of reality to create cracks in the air. He was creating a tsunami.

The war was finally starting.

Nanko glanced at the battlefield, taking a handful of kunais out. A few cannon balls headed in his general direction, piercing through the sky with a sizzling sound. He flicked his hand, the kunais flying straight at them, intercepting them mid-air and making them explode.

"Officer Nanko!" His subordinates cried with a mixture of thankfulness and awe.

Nanko simply nodded at them, his posture not indicating any further move. He was standing straight, shoulders relaxed and legs crossed. They understood and charged by themselves.

As Marines started charging into the battlefield, he knew he was beginning to stick out so he disappeared into the chaos. He took down some pirates on his way, knocking them down lightly, just enough to blend in. If a few needles flew out to knock out some marines, it was none of his business.

He had eyes on the whole battlefield, hands in every corner, saving and killing at once. Neither side noticed when Nanko disappeared.

"Fufufufu!" Doflamingo was giggling as he flew through the air, above the giant Oars Jr. His thin thread curled up around his leg, unnoticeable to anyone. As the adrenaline pumped through his blood and his fingers tightened in a deathly grip, he felt something blocking his reach. A frown immediately spread as he couldn't feel the satisfying tearing of flesh, nor hear the resounding scream of his victim. "Who..."

He knew the giant didn't have the power to do such a thing but as his eye swept the battlefield, he couldn't find the culprit—till he raised his eyes to the edge of the frozen waves. Pink hair shone under the sun.