Sixteen: Painful Lies

Taemin

Today I sat in a boring-ass not, so business-like meeting with a few board members, potential investors, and my dad

Today I sat in a boring-ass not, so business-like meeting with a few board members, potential investors, and my dad. This meeting felt like it was draining the life out of me the longer it seemed to drag on. Everybody seemed to be talking about everything except for what we came here to talk about.

We were supposed to be discussing how we could make life a bit easier and more manageable for all the single parents working at our gaming company in London and Seoul, South Korea. This was a plan I proposed to dad one night as he and I ate dinner a few weeks ago. I wanted to add a small health care facility onto the daycare center that was open twenty-four hours. 

The medical center would house a pediatric station, three OBGYN offices, a fully operational wellness station for nursing moms, and a fitness gym. These services would be free to all the single moms and dads for as long as they need them.

Instead of going over the plans, I laid out in front of everyone. They were too busy arguing about something that happened at last week's meeting that I had no clue what it was about. An hour later, we were finally talking about how we were going to make life a little easier for our employees.

I wasn't just doing this for the thousands of men and women that were employed at our company, I was also doing it because I believed that having happy, healthy, and stress-free employees would also benefit our rapidly growing company. In the near future under my leadership, I am planning on adding an affordable apartment complex to both branches.

To my surprise, the meeting went very well compared to how it started. The board members and investors seemed to agree that adding the health care facility to both branches would benefit the company eventually. I walked out of the large conference room feeling good about proposing my first major business plan.  I was also feeling a bit tired from jet lag.

 “Are you up to having dinner with your old man in the cafeteria downstairs?” Dad asked as he walked up next to me.

“Sure dad,” I replied while checking my cell phone for any missed calls that I may have received during the meeting.

“Taemin, when are you going to settle down and make this old man a grandpa? You do know that I'm not getting younger, son. I want to be able to enjoy spoiling my grandkids while I'm still in my prime.” Dad says to me as we exited the elevator on the second floor of the building.

“I guess it'll be when I find the right woman to settle down with, dad…” I was saying when I see the woman who has haunted my dreams every night since she walked out of my life five years ago. Ms. Anastasia Reed was squatting next to a crying little boy right in front of the daycare center. I stood there watching as she took the back of her right hand and wiped away the little boy's steady flow of tears from his face. Whatever she whispered in his ear made him stop crying immediately and a smile formed on his face.