This Is How if Feels to Kiss a Boy

Someone Like You ~Adele 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

          The first day in his new school was alright. Not so bad. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 was an awesomely amazing day, Will would rate his first day in Olympus High to be 7. Probably even close to 7.5. But as he followed Cecil to the tennis courts, he could feel that the optimism that he had been having before slowly started to disappear. The closer hey got to the tennis courts, the more anxious he got. Cecil himself didn't seem to notice any change in Will's expression, as he kept on talking excitedly about the tennis club.

Cecil led him from the locker room where they have changed into their tennis shorts to pass rows of tennis courts, where some people were doing light stretching. Will's eyes caught a mop of dark hair of a boy, and for a second, his heartbeat doubled.

Could that be?

The boy was talking with another girl with long black hair that was tied up into a high ponytail. But from where he was standing right now, Will could not make sure that the boy was really-

"Will?"

Will's head snapped to Cecil. Cecil stared at Will, already holding the doorknob of the club's office, looking slightly confused.

Will blinked. "Yeah?"

"We're here. Ready to see Coach Hedge?"

Will stretched his lips into a small, nervous smile.

"Yeah," he said, nodding at Cecil. "Come on, let's go see him."

***

Coach Hedge was...vertically challenged. At least for someone who was coaching a high-school tennis team. Nevertheless, his body language and his piercing eyes when he stared at Will showed that he was not a person that you want to mess with.

"So you said you also played when you were in England?"

Will clasped his hands behind him. Unconsciously shifting his weight to the balls of his feet, Will nodded.

"Yes," he said. "I went to a public tennis club in Manchester."

Coach Hedge folded his arms across his chest. He leaned back in his chair, tilting the chair so it was pushed against the wall.

"Very well, then," he said, putting his feet on the desk. "We have regular practice every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. There will be a try-out in two weeks. You can try if you want to."

"I'd love to."

"Until the try-out, you can join us for practice. But for today, I think it's better if you just see how we're doing it here." "Thank you, Coach," Will said, nodding again at him.

Coach Hedge angled his neck to Cecil. "Take him to see the others, Cecil."

***

Cecil nudged Will's shoulder with his, and grinned at him as they walked out of Coach Hedge's office.

"Welcome to the club, dude."

Will flashed a smile at him. "I am not officially in the club yet," he said. "I still have to do the try-out, right?"

Cecil shrugged a shoulder. "Well, yeah. But I'm sure that you will nail it."

"Thanks," Will said, his smile widened a bit.

Cecil stopped and gestured at one of the courts, where two pairings were playing a game.

"Those two are among the best, not just in this school, but in the state," Cecil said, pointing with his chin to one of the pairings who were on the closest side to where they were standing.