Favorite thing to do

They were sitting next to each other by the lake, legs hanging above the water, and the afternoon sunlight of summer gently warmed their skin.

Will said something that made Nico laugh, and everything, everything was just so bright.

Maybe because it was summer. Maybe it was because Will was here.

Probably. Nico didn't really want to think about it.

"I like it," Will said.

Nico turned his head to Will. Will was staring at him with a gentle look in his blue eyes. With a soft smile on his lips.

"What?"

"You, laughing like that," Will said. "I like it."

A sudden rush of heat spreading inside of Nico, along with a flutter in his stomach.

He liked it. He liked it if he did something that Will liked.

And it's almost hypocritical, as it was Will who taught him not to worry too much about what people thought of him, but at the same time, Nico wanted to know what Will thought of him.

"Oh," he said. He bit his lower lip, trying to stop a smile, but he felt he was failing. He looked down, watching his distorted reflection on the water.

Will didn't say anything. After a while Nico lifted his head up. Will was staring at him, still with that gentle look. But there was something else, something that Nico could not exactly name.

"Will?" He asked warily, tilting his head to the left as he studied Will's expression, trying to figure out what it was behind Will's eyes. "What is it?" Nico asked.

Will licked his lower lip, and his eyes flickered down from Nico's eyes. Will quickly looked away from Nico.

"I just..." Will said, but he paused and looked down. He sighed and shook his head. "Never mind," he said, half-mumbling, still refused to look at Nico.

"Hey," Nico nudged Will's side with his elbow. "You said I can tell you anything since...we're boyfriends now," Nico said. The word boyfriend still felt a bit foreign in his tongue. Didn't mean he dislikes it though. It was just still felt unreal, sometimes.

Will turned his head. He looked at Nico from beneath his long eyelashes, a small smile gracing his lips.

"Yeah, I am happy we are," Will said.

"So it also means you can tell me anything, right?"

Will bit his lower lip, and looked down again. "Promise you won't get mad?"

"What if I promise that whatever it is that you're going to say, it would not end up with me shadow traveling to Hades knows where?"

Will laughed. The laugh remained as a smile on his lips when he looked at Nico. "Fair enough."

"So," Nico said. "What is it?"

Will stared at Nico and Nico was positive that Will was blushing.

"I... I just... really want to kiss you."

Nico let out a small gasp. His heart stopped working for a second. His ears and neck suddenly felt hot.

"Oh," Nico said as Will quickly looked away from him again. Will stubbornly fixed his eyes on his lap now, where his fingers were interlacing together.

"I'm sorry..." Will said, voice barely a whisper.

Nico didn't think that Will needed to say that he was sorry, to feel sorry. Because Nico would be lying if he said he never thought about it.