Confusion

EARFQUAKE~ Tyler, The Creator

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nico looked away from where Will was sitting on a chair next to the cot. The way the sunlight fell on Will's hair, making it aflame with golden light was way too distracting.

"So you're born on 1924?"

That question usually irritating for Nico. But this time, it became slightly less irritating than usual. Probably because Will said it without sounding annoyingly curious. Just slightly curious. Slightly.

Or probably because Will was the one asking the question.

"Yeah," Nico said, glancing at Will for a second. The head medic was still holding the board, scribbling something about it. Nico looked down to the mattress, his finger absently tracing imaginary pattern on the sheet.

"Cool," Will said.

Nico's head snapped to look at Will, eyes widened a bit.

What did he just say?

Will looked up from the board to Nico. "You've got to tell me about what kind of music that was popular in that time."

Nico blinked. He stared at Will, not really sure what Will meant by that.

"Excuse me?"

Will put the board on the small nightstand next to the cot. He shrugged his shoulders.

"I mean, people always said that jazz and swings were quite popular in the 30s. So I thought it would be cool to hear how it really was."

"You want to hear it. From me," Nico said, as if saying it by himself would make it easier for him to believe it. It did not.

Will chuckled. "Yeah," he said, leaning back on the chair as he crossed his arms over his chest. "Would be great to have a legit source of information about the music from that decade. And I bet Austin would have a bunch of questions to ask you."

Nico did not know what to say to that.

He did not know how to feel about that.

But at the back of his mind, he started digging out some vague, hazy memories from his childhood. About the times when his Mama would hum along to the songs in the radio while she was sitting in the living room, flipping through the magazines. He vaguely remembered that one song about smokes on someone's eyes. And that one song about the blue moon.

His Mama loved those songs.

"Anyway," Will said as he stood up from the chair, cutting Nico's train of thought. "Do you mind if I check your vitals?"

"Uh. Yeah, sure." Nico said, shifting a bit on the cot.

"Uhm, Nico?"

Nico looked up at Will, who was looking at him expectantly. "Yeah?"

"I would need to," he paused to clear his throat. "... Hold your wrist. And your arms. I mean, to check your pulse. Totally for medical purpose."

"Oh," Nico said, feeling heat creeping in slowly inside of him. "Okay," he said, stretching out his left hand to Will.

Will took it and once their skin came in contact, strange electric sparks lit up in his vein.

Strange, but not unpleasant.

Nico managed not to flinch this time.

He strangely felt that Will's hand on his skin was pleasantly warm.