45~ Rebels

45~ Rebels

Mira 

The next morning, the BarBar Pirates taught us how a sand ship operates. Honestly, it's not that different from its sea cousins. I worked with a couple of the men from the tournament and Rasa to keep the sails open and ready to catch the wind. This sure beats walking, one hundred percent.

"Slow down and drop anchor!" Barbarossa called out at about mid-morning. We adjusted the sails and slowed to a stop, Zoro dropping the anchor into the sands.

"Ahead is a village called Ido." Barbarossa said as he stared out to the horizon. Some rock walls poked from the sand, making a wide path to this village. "You should be able to get water there."

"Wait, you're not coming?" Luffy looked up at him.

"We sand pirates can't go any further." He explained as he helped us get ready to leave the ship. "This land belongs to the people who have lived and died here for many generations, you see."

"Is that how it is?" Luffy stared ahead.

"Yeah," Barbarossa smiled. "The desert is the land of the free. But not everyone can survive the harsh environment. The village ahead is a place where people eke out a living."

"So what are you gonna do?" Luffy asked as I followed Vivi's gaze. Rasa stood on one of the rope ladders, glaring down at Vivi. I took a step closer, daring her to make a move.

"Not much!" Barbarossa chuckled. "We've freely lived as we pleased on this ocean of sand, and that's what we'll keep on doing!"

Luffy returned the laugh. "That's just like us!"

"That's great!" The two shared another laugh as we finished preparing to head off. I claimed my place on Zoro's back as the girl's got on the camel, Zoro leading him. We waved and called out goodbyes as we parted, the ship growing smaller every passing moment. Soon, it was gone and we faced our next challenge ahead.

"Hey, where's your brother?" Sanji asked suddenly. "I thought we would have met back up with him by now."

"Dunno." Luffy shrugged. "But he's Ace. Nothing to worry about. He'll suddenly show up again out of nowhere!"

"Why do you keep making such groundless claims?" Nami sighed.

"Anyway," Luffy brushed the question off with a chuckle. "Let's head to this Udo village!"

"You mean Ido." Nami and I corrected him at the same time.

"Ido?"

"Yeah, that's what it's called. Were you not paying attention?"

"Was too!"

"Then what's it called?"

"Udo."

"Ido!"

"Right.

"Anyway," I pinched the bridge of my nose. "The village shouldn't be too far from here. We can stop for fresh supplies, water, and an idea of where we need to go next. Vivi, where would that be?"

"Hm? Oh, right! That would be-"

"Hey!" We looked at a familiar voice in the distance. A weird, bipedal purple lizard thing raced towards us. It carried a small sled of cargo behind it. Ace leaned over and waved to us.

Luffy was the first to race towards his brother.

"That's where he was?" Vivi asked, confused.

"I guess." I peered around him to see the walls of a village. "But how did he get here before us?"