39~ One Way to Alabasta

Mira

"Wait, wait," I held up my hand to stop Luffy. "Are you telling me I missed best the action around here??"

He grinned. "Yeah! That weird guy who ate our ship was kinda tough, but it was nothing!"

"You let him escape and almost get to Nami, you numbskull." Sanji conked Luffy's head. "If you had been paying more attention to Wapol instead of Chopper's transformations, you would have beaten him sooner and Nami wouldn't have gotten thrown in the middle of it!"

"Transformations?" I tipped my head to the side. "What exactly do you mean by that? I mean, I know he ate a Devil Fruit, but I don't quite understand."

"Well, I ate the Human Fruit." Chopper explained. "It gives me the ability to transform into different forms."

"He can do it seven times!"

"Luffy, that's six fingers."

"Seven times!" He corrected himself.

"Well, I'm limited to three, but I found a way to make it to where I can transform seven times." Chopper said softly.

"That's so awesome!" I grinned and giggled at him.

"Oh stop it!" He shouted at me. "Flattery won't work on me!" He grinned and blushed. "Just shut up!" Evil Chopper. He then switched back to happy, flustered Chopper.

I chuckled at him, already loving his antics. "Maybe I'll be able to see your transformations at a later time."

"Well, the effects only last about three minutes when I use my Rumble Ball." He shrugged. "So I'd have to act fast to defeat my enemy."

I nodded. "Makes sense."

"Oh, oh! Also there was a huge cherry blossom tree!" Luffy said giddily. "It was huuuge and pink, and sparkly!"

"Luffy, that's a tree in the spring." I sighed as I pinched the bridge of my nose. "There's no way a tree like that could have grown-"

"Shut up! It did happen!" I jumped back a bit at Chopper's words. "It was Doctor Hiraluk's invention! It's supposed to help heal the land, and it did! It bloomed and everyone was happy and all their illness went away! I watched it happen with my own eyes!"

"Hey, I'm sorry." I held one of his hooves. "I didn't mean to upset you. I guess I find it hard to believe since I didn't get to see it."

Chopper sniffed. "It really happened... Doctrine made it happen so I could see it before I left. She helped me with my medical training after..."

I carefully pulled him into an embrace. "It's okay, Chopper. I believe you. Come on, now." I let him go and stood. "It's pretty late, guys. We should probably head to bed. We've got a princess to return." We all smiled at each other and parted ways.

~~~~

Morning came soon after. I awoke with a stretch and sighed. It's a new day, we have a new crew member, and we're this much closer to getting Vivi home. I smiled and went to get up.

Something at my side stopped me. I lifted the covers to see a sleeping Chopper. When did...?

A memory from late last night popped in my head.

I had turned over to the sound of my door opening. "Who's there?"

"Mira..." A small voice asked. "Um, I know it's not my place, since I'm new here, but uh..."

I turned over more to face the door and turned on my small gas lamp. "What is it, Chopper?" I asked with a yawn. "It's the middle of the night."

"W-well, I uh... It's..." He stared at his feet. "It's perfectly okay if you say no, but, um... I... I had a bad dream... Neither Nami, nor Vivi, woke up when I went to talk to them... I was wondering if I... could maybe..."