Different Handcuffs

Light's POV

"...Son?"

No. No no no no no! Anything but this! I slowly let go off of L's lips and stared at my father's shocked, no, disappointed face.

My father usually doesn't show much affection towards me. He isn't very talkative with me either. I love him but I often wish he could notice that I'm not some robot. Sometimes I want to talk to him about my problems but... he would probably want me to erase them. Pretend that I never have any. Pretend they don't exist and never acknowledge them. Always be perfect. A model student, his strong professional son. His pride. He only saw me as all those because of the act I was putting on. It was easy for me to lie to him, pretend there wasn't anythig wrong.

The look in his eyes destroyed me. I couldn't stand it. I was his perfect son but now... It was all over. I destroyed everything.

I reached my hand to him, my tears were already dried on my cheeks. "Dad...I-I can explain-" He didn't even let me finish and ran back inside. But for some reason he didn't seem... suprised. It was like he knew for some reason. The others were fixated on us aswell.

"I knew it...! How dare you... behind our backs you two were...!" Idiot Matsuda was blabbing again but I couldn't care less. I didn't even understand what the hell he was saying... He knew what? That idiot...

I was dozing out and felt my head ache again. My life was over. Everything was. I didn't know what to do anymore. What to chase after.

The others were slowly going back inside leaving L and I alone again. I looked at him still shocked about what just happened. His arm stopped bleeding but he still looked a mess.

"I'm sorry... I ruined everything-" He cut me off by putting his finger on my lips. Looking at me with his puffy red eyes.

"It's okay, Light." Was he right? He was L. He was never wrong. Maybe it'll turn out...just fine right? But for it to turn out okay-

I grabbed his other shoulder and clenched it. Locking my eyes on his.

"You have to join me on this, L. This is the only way! To justice!". I couldn't even think about my father when he was sitting in front of me.

He looked at me confused and tilted his head a little "Huh? Join you on what?"

His eyes got wider as he continued "Light, you're the one who has to join ME. You have to get rid of that-" He got closer to me just in case someone heard "-that goddamn second notebook! I know there are two of them!" I gasped a little. First of all, how did he know about Misa's notebook already! I have to get rid of him before this gets out of hand-

I closed my eyes before speaking again and strengthened my grip "L, we either fix this world, together...

...or I end all this by killing you."

L grinned at me and spread his other arm out. "Well, you could've done that a million times by now, go on. Kill me. Kill L Lawliet."

He was right. One side of me was dying to finish him, his name was echoing inside my head. L Lawliet. That was all I needed to hear. I could end this. End all of this. But the other side of me was still holding onto what me and L have together. I was slowly loosing my mind, breaking apart. L's words brought me back to reality.

"You know, all this exercise is starting to make me feel better, Light." As soon as I heard his soothing voice, I felt my mind get clearer. This feeling... just hearing him speak made me feel at ease. It was enough to calm me down. When I was with him my problems weren't that important anymore. Because my biggest problem, was him.