Deaf

Tony Stark is deaf.

Yes, Tony has been deaf ever since the chaotic fight with Obadiah. Remember when the giant reactor was blasted by Pepper to kill Obidiah?

Yea, that was a painful experience for Tony. When Pepper pulled the gear, the reactor started glowing and the place was filled with annoying sounds which were painful to Tony as he was near it. The glass started to shudder into million pieces, some of them even entered Tony's ears which was the main reason for bleeding and partial deafness. As soon as the giant reactor was overloaded with electricity it had made its way through the glass ceiling and blasted off, causing Obadiah to take all the power and killed him.

Happy news: Obadiah Stane is no more.
Bad news: Tony isn't responsive.

Pepper had a mini heart attack looking at Tony, lying on the edge of glass shards and unresponsive. 

His arc reactor started flickering, which indicated he was shutting down.

But that didn't mean Iron man would die.
Iron man cant die.

Tony still had life inside him, he was alive. Pepper had been blabbering something for a really long time, but Tony couldn't hear them? He thought it was probably because of unconsciousness and will hear properly after a while, but no. 

He couldn't hear anything, he tried opening his eyes but it made the pain more unbearable. He decided to keep his eyes closed and rest in silence.

____________________________________

He had ended up in medbay, specially made for him and his specialised doctors. 

He woke up to his regular place, white painted walls, the smell of meds used, the IV wired twirled around, absolutely normal for him.

But one thing wasn't, he couldn't hear anything still.

The doctor was smiling and talking something, but all Tony could do was stare at him.

The doctor was trying to tell Tony that he has gone deaf, so he took a paper and wrote in proper handwriting:
"Mr Stark, I'm so sorry to inform you can't hear anything as you have gone deaf, but the goodness is that we can make you proper implant machine so you can hear the sounds like a normal person"

Tony froze after reading that." Am I gonna be deaf permanently? Implants? no way!" he thought in his head.

"Ohkay, thank you" was the words that came out of Tony's mouth.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

"Yes I will take care of the meeting Pepper, now stop annoying me" he made himself a hearing aid that works partially for the left ear.

"I was talking about the breakfast dear"

"Oh ok You know I heard half of it ok"

"Yeah...I know, I wonder if you could improve the hearing of the aids?"

" I don't know about this stuff I'm trying"

"When are you gonna tell you friends and avengers other than Rhodhey?" Only Pepper and Rhodhey knew about Tony's problem.

"When the time comes?"

"OK, we'll see that later now come eat breakfast!" Pepper had got used to shouting at Tony so he could hear.

-meanwhile with avengers-

Steve: Why don't we set up a party for Tony's birthday?

Nat: Yeah but how? Like the usual one?

Bucky: I mean is there any other ways?

Clint: We could prank him or moreover surprise

Thor: How?

Clint: hear my plan...

-time skip to Tony's Bday-

Tony woke up to bright sunshine liting up his face, too bright. That's when he realised pepper was waking him up.

"Hey Pep"

"Goodmorning Birthday baby"

"Oh, yea thanks" Tony was never a person to celebrate a birthday.

"Get up and attend you meeting I scheduled now" This was part of the plan.

"ohnokay"

He got ready and headed towards the garage to go for his meeting.

Clint: Listen, guys, after we decorate, we hid and then yell Happy birthday when he reaches the main room, ok?"

A bunch of yes, ok and yup's were heard from avengers except Pepper who wasn't there.

.

.

Tony returned home in the evening, it was a really, really long one.

When he entered the living area it was really dark, he couldn't see anything other than the slight rays of shine from the moon.

They must've gone for mission or something, he thought to himself, so removed his micro aids and placed them on the couch. He really liked the darkness so remained there instead of turning the switches back on.

As soon as he sat on the couch, the avengers were practically yelling Tony's name and surprise repeatedly, but Tony was humming something to himself.

The avengers were confused by this, they thought, Why did Tony not react to his name being called? Is he deaf or what? Is he sleeping?

As they stood still, Pepper came in and turned on the light and saw the avengers behind Tony while he had no idea, definitely, Pepper understood the confusion on their faces and decided its the best time to tell them.

"Tony, wear your hearing aids and turn behind."

"Hey Peppy, Ok I'll do"

He wore the machine and realised his friends had decorated half of the room with 'happy bday Tony' kinds of stuff but they didn't seem to be happy.

"Hey guys, Thank you for all this stuff, but is something bothering yall??"

Steve: Tony, you didn't hear us yelling your name before and you have hearing aids, since when?

"UHH...I'm deaf. Surprise!"

Clint: Were you born deaf?

"No Clint, an accident caused that, but now let's celebrate and talk about it later, okay?" Pepper convinced everyone

Nat: Yeah ok, Tony cut the cake! I made it myself!!!!!!

"Definitely Nat, I love it"

-Later that evening-

Clint: So wanna talk about your hearing?

Tony: You didn't know about it? really? The blast? Obidiah's death?

The Avengers: No we really don't tony 

Tony was shocked but still showed the incident which was recorded in the old news program.

Nat: We never did know about this incident, did it hurt?

Steve: That's a dumb question but I'm sorry that you had to go through these Tones.

Tony: Ah leave that guy but thanks for the party.

Steve: No prob but why did you hide this for so long?

Pepper: Well, he thought you guys would hate him...

Thor: No why would we? We love you, Anthony!

Tony: That's-That's great, love you too