fourteen

Before I even registered that it was Tommy who spoke, my body had naturally moved towards him.

The soft commanding nature of his voice was gravitating, and he barely had to reach far in order to pull me into him. With me guarded by his protective stance, I finally looked up at his face.

He looked like a perfect expression of a controlled temper.

His jaw was clenched and his grip was strong, but he still tried to approach Mason calmly.

"Love?" Mason repeated, looking between Tommy and I.

He took a step away from us, and he looked like he was still trying to figure out the situation. God, what was so hard to understand?

Mason settled into an annoyed face, as if this whole situation was an inconvenience to him.

"Do you need something?" Tommy spoke evenly as he looked over Mason with distaste.

Mason looked towards me, as if he was waiting for me to confess something or to call Tommy off. Instead of feeding into his silent requests, I stole glances at Tommy.

I had no idea how he knew that I needed him, but I didn't want to consider what would have happened without him here. The even yet forceful edge in his voice as he spoke, the way he draped his arm around my body, his protectiveness over me, I was slightly flustered despite the completely inappropriate situation.

Mason scoffed, pulling his eyes away from me.

"Your girl was trying to get with me," he turned away from us and mumbled, "slut."

"What the fuck did you-" Tommy straighted his stance, effectively threatening the shorter boy.

I reached out, pulling Tommy back by his hand.

"Can we just leave?" I murmured, wanting to get out of the store.

Maybe it was my desperate and uncomfortable look, or maybe Tommy wanted to forget about this whole incident, too, but he nodded at me.

He threw one last glare at Mason before he pulled me out of the store with his arm still wrapped around me. Although, the gentle hold felt more like a reassurance for himself than for me.

Wordlessly, he guided me to the food court, finally calming down as we sat at one of the tables.

Neither of us spoke, leaving a comfortable silence to settle down.

I could basically hear his thoughts buzzing inside his head, and I didn't feel much different. I had no idea what to tell him, or how to organize all of my messy thoughts, but he deserved to hear something from me.

"Thank you for pulling me out of there." I mumbled, avoiding his eyes.

Tommy scoffed, "Don't thank me for doing the bare minimum."

I hesitated, his tone was still laced with anger.

He signed, softening his voice, "I'm sorry, you didn't deserve that," he paused, "I'm just mad. At myself for leaving you alone, and at that stupid guy for talking to you in the way that he did..." His voice trailed off.

"Tommy, it wasn't your fault." I told him, hoping he knew how genuine I was.

He nodded, letting my words settle in.

Deep in his own thoughts, Tommy let the conversation drift to an end, and I had no clue how to continue it from there.

But we didn't really need to fill the silence, anyways, we just wanted each other's company.

"Let's gather everyone and head to the beach, yeah?" He suggested.

I smiled, surprised that he remembered my earlier comments about it on the drive to the mall.

"I'm glad you're here." The words with me were silent but I had a feeling he heard them.

A soft laugh escaped his lips, "I am too."