seventeen

authors note: thank you so much for 750 reads!!

"Are you sure you'll be alright down here alone?" George asked me.

He had been sitting at the kitchen table, quietly eating dinner and keeping me company.

I shot him an assuring smile as the pans in my hand clattered together loudly. I was grateful for his concern, but he looked exhausted already.

"Yes, I'm okay," he nodded at me, still lingering by the table to be sure. After the hours in my room and the roller coaster of emotions I had today, I had stumbled into the living room to crash. George didn't ask any questions, but he made sure I was alright and had something to eat.

"You need your beauty sleep, anyways," I added.

"Dream would disagree." He chuckled, walking up the stairs to his room before I could turn around and question him.

I turned the dial of the stove countertop up. It was late in the night, but my hunger had hit me suddenly and now I felt like I was starving. Everyone else had fled to their own rooms, most likely asleep. Even Sapnap had been moved to his own room, after Wilbur carried him away and Sapnap tried to kiss him.

He'd have a nasty headache in the morning.

The cheese and bread were bought recently, probably by Dream in anticipation of everyone living in this house. I started to make my grilled cheese, but the empty house began to bother me. Any noise I made felt amplified, and I cringed at the clattering sounds I made every time I knocked something off the counter.

I turned to my phone, wanting a distraction from the quiet room and my loud mind.

I clicked on a random playlist, hearing calm songs playing back to me. I started to silently dance to the music, nodding my head and swaying my body at my favorite parts.

"BOO!" Hands grabbed my waist.

"Jesus- fuck off!" I yelped, shoving Tommy away.

He laughed, "oh god, you should have seen your face." He gasped for air. 

He smiled at me from the countertop he was leaning on, finally settling down. My heart was racing so fast I was certain he could hear it, too.

Was it because of his scare or because of his laughter?

"What are you making?" He asked, already grabbing a piece of bread from the bag and eating it like a duck.

"A grilled cheese, you want one?"

Tommy wrinkled his nose. "That's a toastie."

"It's grilled and it has cheese." I deadpanned.

"Fucking americans are so dumb." He mocked, "I will call this exactly what it is because I'm an uncreative bitch."

I decided to let him have this one argument.

Tommy pulled down a bowl of cereal and milk, silently eating his dinner beside me. The atmosphere felt comforting and safe. It was definitely odd how Tommy could be cussing one minute and become a calming presence for me the next.

My playlist shuffled as I kept cooking, playing a random mix of love songs, indie angst, and nostalgic throwbacks. Every once in a while I heard Tommy sing softly, and other times I felt his eyes on me as I moved around to the music.

The song changed to Shut Up and Dance by WALK THE MOON. I turned away from Tommy so that I could still watch my food, but I continued to hum while the song started playing.

"This woman is my destiny... she said oh oh, shut up and dance with me." I murmured.

In the corner of my eye I saw Tommy nodding his head along to the song before standing up from his chair.

He pulled me away from the stove by my arms, wearing a wide grin.

I stared at him, waiting for him to explain what he was doing, but instead he started dancing. He tugged at my arms, trying to throw them above my head while moving in swinging motions.

I let out a loud laugh, imagining how stupid we must have looked together, sliding around the kitchen in our socks and smiles.

"We were victims of the night! The chemical, physical, kryptonite," I sang out the lyrics, giggling as Tommy spun me in a circle.

"Oh we were bound to get together," he looked unsure of the next line, smiling goofily as he mumbled gibberish to the music. "I don't know how it happened, we took the floor and she said..."

I wrapped my arms loosely around Tommy's neck, shutting my eyes and throwing my head back in laughter.

He was beaming in front of me, his face full of delight and so close to my own.

The song ended, and we slowly pulled apart from each other. He drew his hand from my own and let the distance between us grow, both of our faces flushed. I didn't know whether it was because of us moving and jumping around, or because of the proximity that we had shared. It didn't matter.

"Pretend like I'm not even here.''

Tommy and I both jumped at the new voice, turning to see George leaning in the doorway of the kitchen, holding a water bottle in his hand.

"Hey, hi," I greeted him, stumbling over my words.

Tommy avoided my eyes as George filled his water bottle, finding the tiles on the floor very interesting.

He smirked at me, nodding like a puzzle had just fallen into place that had now made sense. I raised an eyebrow at him, silently asking him 'what are you doing here?'

He just shrugged back, holding up his full water bottle while grinning.

George paused, as if considering if it was worth teasing us or if he just wanted to go to bed, before deciding to walk out the room.

"Carry on," he chuckled, leaving us alone again.

"Anyways," Tommy paused before cracking up, covering his embarrassment.

He yawned, "I'm going to head to my room, goodnight." He turned quickly and walked out the room, not waiting for a response.

"Tommy?" I called him back.

"Yeah?" He looked up at me then, his hair fell around his face carelessly, and his blue eyes stared at me softly.

"Goodnight."