twenty seven

"We only have time for one or two more rides, alright?" Wilbur informed us.
The minors departed from the main group, unanimously deciding to go on the ferris wheel, and I was enjoying the short walk to the other side of the carnival grounds. With laughter emanating from the air and the entire location illuminated by the colorful lights, everything was beautiful. The chilly wind bit at my fingertips, but I hardly felt it while we were talking together.

Marching along with the large machine in sight, I turned to whisper something to Tubbo, surprised when Tommy is there instead. Drawn in by the warmth of his body, my hand skimmed across the arm resting by his side. With awkward haste that I pray he remains unaware of, I looked away from him before he could notice that I was facing him. Before I realized what I was doing, my traitorous fingers mindlessly curled his pinky finger around mine.

My breath caught in my throat, refusing to move as I tried to comprehend how stupid I am. That's so weird, I look so creepy.

I planned my apology, deciding to play it off by pretending that I thought it was Ranboo next to me instead. Before I could utter my concealing and totally unbelievable lie, Tommy laughed.

"Oi, you're like a child. Can't cross a street safely without holding my hand?" Although his words were teasing, his smile stretched across his face. He swinged our interlocked arms back and forth, almost humming with immature giddiness.

All my heart wanted to do is smile. I wanted to be able to look Tommy in his beautiful eyes and laugh along, enjoying the tender feeling of his finger wrapped around mine. I've become comfortable living in the brief touches and light blushes, grateful for the innocent affection I have been receiving from an unitentional Tommy. I know that eventually, within days, I am going to be thousand of miles away. Tommy, of course, will be here. In a city I have grown to love, with people I will feel physical pain from just missing them, and likely he will spend his free time talking to other girls. 

But I don't want to think about that. Not now. Not  here, while I am blessed enough to spend this much time with the boy I love.

Fuck. I love him.

My mind didn't  know how to grasp that fact. My best friend, the boy who changed my life with his passion and energy, he had been on my mind for months, and with every part of my heart and my head,  I know that I love him.

It's an out of body experience  when I feel his hand wrap entirely around my own, pulling my body forward by the arm.

"Janelle, hello? Focus! We're finally going on the bitchin' ferris wheel!" Tommy sped up his strides, walking faster towards the ferris wheel. Or maybe I had stopped walking altogether, I couldn't really tell.

It didn't matter, however, because all my brain could focus on was the way his hand encompassed mine. Charging forward, Tommy didn't look behind once as we approached the wheel, jolting me quicker with excitement.

The four of us dipped our heads back entirely, staring up at the cold and colorful metal contraption. The ferris wheel was relatively small, compared to the ones I had seen in America, with only twenty or so benches for people to sit on rather than the massive carts I was used to seeing.

"Guys, I don't think we can all fit together." Ranboo noted, watching people get off of the ride from tiny three person seats.

Tubbo tilted his head, "now hear me out..."

"No, Tubbo, he's right." I sighed, shutting down his plan. I wished we could have ended the night with all of us together.

"It's fine, Janelle and I will just go on the next one." Tommy offered. His thumb lightly rubbed mine, reminding me that our hands were still together.
Reminding me that he had not let go.