8.3

There is an uncomfortable silence between Rossi and Hotch and the two agents that take Derek's and Spencer's place for a year don't help either with repairing the trust of the team.

"Who was that?"

"Morgan" Rossi tells him when he comes back into the room.

"Everything okay?"

"Of course"

"What did he want?" Hotch questions and then apologetic looks down when Rossi makes clear to him with his expression that this is not his business. "Sorry"

"You could call them yourself, you know. Show some interest."

"He doesn't wanna hear from me."

"Morgan doesn't but Spencer will appreciate it. Morgan taught him to do video calls, maybe just ask Morgan when it fits best. He won't get in between it."

"Spencer barely tolerates me in normal circumstances. What makes you think he does now?"

"He got a long way with you, what happened with his father was your fault, you ruined it again and nevertheless he puts trust in you, he tells you things and he looks up to you. Your words and your actions have a value for him that is unmatched when it comes to certain things. He wants to show you that but you have a hard time noticing."

"What's this?" Hotch had asked with a frown in his face when Spencer dumped files on his desk, happily flapping his hands barely able to hold in his excitement. "Are these for me?"

Spencer had nodded and then taken a deep breath, Hotch had recognized it as him trying to regulate his emotions.

"What's got you so excited?"

"I did that. I did that." Hesitant Hotch pointed at the files.

"I am thankful but that's your job." He had questioned hesitantly but Spencer shook his head, keeping on flapping his hands.

"Open it. Open it." When Hotch did he was not met with files but math equations. "I did that. I did that."

"What is this?"

"I did it. I did it. I cracked it. I am the first to crack this. I did this."

"Did what?"

"Did what? Did what? This took me years. I did it. I did it."

"Spencer I am not following, try to take a deep breath and then try again." He did.

"I solved this, Sir. I did it."

"Why are you coming to me with this Spencer?" Hotch had gathered the files up in his arms. "It's good but I don't have time right now. We are stressed out- we- we don't have time for math right now."

"I solved it. I solved it. It took years."

"Then you can show me later still." He had dumped the files back in Spencer's arms.

"It took years. It took years. Why are you not happy?"

"Because we don't have time for this right now."

"This is huge. It took years. I solved it."

"It is still solved this evening when one has time for this just do your work files now okay?"

The files are still buried on Spencer's desk, no one else has ever seen them to this day.

"You two are looking handsome." Fran comments when they come down the stairs ready for their dinner with an old friend of Morgan's and his fiancée. "Are you sure you two don't want to take the car? Or should I maybe drive you?"