16

───── ❝ touch ❞ ─────
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

“Hello, Sungjae. I'm Detective Kang and this is Detective Jung, we're from Special Victims. How are you doing?”

Yeoreum takes a seat on a chair beside the bed where Sungjae sits up blankly. He looks exhausted.

“Special victims... I'm fine.”

The two detective look at each other, both knowing the exact reason why Sungjae is acting like this. Situation like this happens, but rarely since it's always the female who became the victims.

“Look, Sungjae. I know you might feel embarrassed, but we're not judging you.”
“Hell if I know if you're speaking the truth or not.”

She exchanges glares with Hyunbin, telling him to take over. Maybe Sungjae will open up to him, she thought.

“I'll just make a few calls outside.”

Closing the ward door slowly, she sighs. This is when she hates herself. For not being able to gain trust. For giving her job to someone else.

This stupid feeling.

___

After they got back from the hospital, Yeoreum immediately excused herself to take a break at the rooftop. She feels like crying today, maybe because of her hormonal change. But, it is mostly caused by the overwhelming feelings in her.

The urge to do better. To not let anyone get the best out of her.
To not let anyone claim her.

As she's lost in her feelings, a pair of arms slide through her shoulders and locking their fingers right under her chin.

“You seem different today.”

Jaehyun says, looking at the shocked Yeoreum. She's taken aback.

They never really talk to each other privately, making it ten times harder for her brain to process the motives behind his move.

“Oh. Well, sort of?” Jaehyun chuckles and removes himself from her, standing tall at her left. His warm palm reaches out for her shoulder and squeezes it lightly.

Using his other hand, he takes out a white chocolate bar and gives it to her.

“Cheer up. Everybody has those days, and I'm here if you wanna talk.”

Yeoreum awkwardly receives the chocolate, humming at the back of her throat. To say that she has a crush on this gorgeous guy is not true, but it's not like she doesn't find him attractive at times.

“I didn't see your car today.”

... shit.

“Oh. My cousin dropped me off earlier.”
“I see. How are you going back then? Do you need a lift?”

Suddenly she has no words. Biting her dry lips, the girl blankly stares at the small pots in front of her.

“I can go back on my own, don't worry.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yeah.”

Comfortable silence visits the two, and they're enjoying the moment secretly. Well, at least for a few minutes until her phone starts ringing like crazy.