33

───── ❝ Love is espionage ❞ ─────
warning : 850 words only.
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Sangyeon opens his eyes when he heard the toilet door opens, revealing Yeoreum in a comfy sweatshirt. She rushes towards him when he tries to sit up, helping him.

“No. Slowly, you're still weak.”

He raises his eyebrows before chuckling, obeying her order. “So? Why are you here?” He asks while watching Yeoreum who is pouring water for him. The way her eyes shifted from the glass to the wall didn't go unnoticed by Sangyeon.

“I mean, someone needs to stay with you so...” she mumbles. Taking steps towards the bed, she hands him the glass without even looking.

Seriously? You're shy now Yeoreum?

“And you volunteered to stay with me?”
“Can you shut up?”

He giggles, holding the glass down on his laps. “You know you can sit down right?” that caught her off guard as she pretends to stretch before actually taking a seat on the chair beside the bed.

“What happened now? I heard Hajun is dead.”
“Well...”

___

“Tell me then, babe.” Hajun wraps his arm around her waist, another one resting against her shoulder. “Where should I start?”

“That accident involving my cousin. You must've knew everything. Why him...?”

Hajun walks both of them towards a large window across the room, he takes a deep breath. Yeoreum almost gags, feeling so disgusted and bothered by the fact she's holding him. “It was Wonwoo who came out with that. He wanted you to suffer. And I, just did it as long as he pays me. Jihoon kept the black box.”

You're such an evil, Woo. I trusted you with my whole life and you did this?

Hajun keeps on telling her everything about Wonwoo and his dirty hands, and Yeoreum noticed how Hajun starts to feel down her back approaching her gun sleeve. Using her whole strength, she kicks his balls and that got the man crouching down.

But he recovered quickly before Yeoreum could take out her gun, attacking her by pulling her leg. The two fought against each other, Hajun getting access to her exposed gun sleeve. Dragging her up by the collar, he pushes her against the large window.

“Seriously? I helped you by giving evidence and you took me down? Not so smooth there, detective.” Yeoreum looks at him right in the eyes, him pointing the gun in front of her forehead.

“It disgusts me to even talk to you, Hajun. You're not special, or worth my time. This? It records everything. You're going to rot in prison with your damn friends.” she says bravely while showing the hidden mic inside her vest.

Chuckling, Yeoreum finds it amusing when Hajun's eyes twitch. Who's the dumb one here now? Taking the opportunity of him losing his composure, Yeoreum grabs the gun and throws it away.

Once again, they put up a fight. An intense one.

Until he pulls out a knife hidden in his sock.

Yeoreum's eyes widen, backing up towards the window. Hajun approaching her with satanic smile, holding the knife up.

Bang!

She hears a gunshot as she pushes herself away the moment Hajun swings the knife towards her. Looking at the shattered window and Hajun's body down on the road, it took her a while to process that he's gone.

“You're welcome.” Chief Kwon says, walking to her and looks down on Hajun's dead body.

“How did you-”
“I tracked your mic.”

Yeoreum lets out a little 'ah', fidgeting with the device. Chief Kwon sighs and wraps her arms around her body, requesting backups to examine this house and Hajun's body.

“Jihoon just turned himself in. He gave this address.” she hands a piece of paper to Yeoreum.

“Go and save my nephew, Detective Kang.”

___

Sangyeon hums when Yeoreum finished telling him everything, noticing a hint of blush on her cheeks but he decides to not talk about it.

“How are you feeling?” he asks.

Yeoreum bitterly laughs, leaning against the chair and closes her eyes. “I don’t know. Am happy that everything's gonna be okay, but I feel empty. I mean, he did all these for what? Just because of jealousy?”

“One could do anything for their loved ones. But in this case, he loved too much that the love itself ate him.”

How much is too much for you?

A comfortable silence washes over them, both lost in their own thoughts.

How do you describe love?

Love is like a ride. Our greatest joy and our greatest pain come along in our relationships with others. Sometimes, it's better to leave them broken than trying to hurt yourself by putting it back together. It is sad to not be able to love, but it's even more sadder to love too much.

Falling in love is like holding a candle. Initially, it lights up your world. Then it starts melting and hurts you. Finally, it goes off and everything is darker than ever and you're left with only the burn.

“Hey.” Yeoreum snaps out of her monologue when Sangyeon softly calls her. “What?”

“I know this is so random, but I think I love you.”

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃