28

───── ❝ One Spy ❞ ─────
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Awkward. Tense.

Perfectly describes the situation they're in. Even the aromatic scent coming from the fresh bread and coffee beans couldn't ease them even a bit. They both have something to say, or rather, to fix.

“You came back early,” Yeoreum says, trying to break the ice wall between them. Sangyeon just hums, staring at her tired face.

Did she even get any sleep?

“The case was somewhat easy.”
“Oh.”
“How about you? I only left for a few days, but you look a lot different.”

A few days my foot.

“Well, I'm a busy lady,” Yeoreum chuckles, not expecting that kind of words from him. Is it obvious that she couldn't sleep properly? Ah of course, dark circles will always be her number one enemy. Her eyes then falls at the file he brought along after he put the paper bag filled with cream waffles for the younger one in his ward.

“Look, I need to discuss something with you. About Changmin's incident and Yejun's.”

She nods, giving the room for him to continue. The girl noticed how he seems to be a lot more careful in spitting his words and actions, and that makes her nervous about the 'discussion'.

He opens the file and goes through the pages, stopping at a particular page before giving the file for her to see. She hesitantly looks at him and the file, before actually reading the content.

Her slouched body immediately becomes straight as she reads over and over again, now flipping to other pages. Sangyeon knows it's a lot for her to process, but this is the only way he has to get her to trust him.

“I- Are these 100% valid informations?”
“Yeoreum...”
“No- Why would he do that to Changmin?”

Sangyeon catches how she's clenching her fists, only to gather his courage to put his palms over her trembling hands. Using his thumbs, he draws soothing circles as he looks at her shocked face. She seems like she witnessed a murder, lost and confused.

He couldn't blame her though. He knew so well that this will bring a lot of shock to her when he first got the document and read it.

“My take on this, it's because of Yejun.”
“But why Changmin? He could've just... done that to me.”
“Yeoreum, you know why. He wants us to stop digging. That was his warning.”

Yeoreum now realises how he was holding her hands, pulling it away to rub her face. This is too much. She looks at Sangyeon with moist eyes, making up her mind. If she needs to trust anyone now, this guy in front of her is the only right person.

“Sangyeon.”
“Hm?”
“Let's work together. You and me.”

He totally didn't see that coming. Not when she refused like crazy when he first brought that idea up a few days ago, yelling how he was being ridiculous and trying to mess her head up.

There's a hint of surprise in his gazes, and she noticed it too.

“Please? I can't afford my people to get hurt again.”

___

4 days later

"YEOREUM NOONA- HEY DON'T COME HERE!"
"JI CHANGMIN WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!"
"SANGYEON HYUNG!"