15. Hope

Lalisa Park-Manoban’s POV

Surreal.

That is the best definition I can give to what happened last night. Okay, it was just a touch of the lips, but after all the events in the past few weeks, it was a big step for me. Besides, nothing with her is just anything. It gave me even more hope about the two of us.

Our marriage was not going well, and to be honest, as much as we were trying to keep it going, we knew that the inevitable would happen. Yes, we would probably have separated within a few months, or even weeks. I felt it, watched without being able to do much as everything was falling apart around us. With great dread, I was watching the love of my life slip between my fingers without being able to do anything.

And then, when I found myself increasingly without solutions, it all happened. She just woke up without remembering anything. Our marriage, the life we built together, the love she once felt for me, and not even our son. She remembered nothing, literally nothing. It was terrifying when all my chips fell.

At the exact moment when I realized what had just happened, my first thought was: this time I really lost it, forever.

I really believed it would be the end of us.

As the days went by, my hope diminished more and more. There was no way to reverse what happened. How could we when even the doctors could not understand the scale of that event and its aftermath? Each new appointment was as if someone broke my legs, preventing me from continuing to run for both of us and try to resolve everything.

I remember the day before the fateful day that she woke up without a memory. We had decided to go out with our friends to distract ourselves a little from the problems. It was supposed to be a fun night, and it really was, until that pointless fight started. Her screams and accusations are still alive in my memory.

“You must think I’m an idiot, Lisa.”

“Roseanne, please. Be rational. You are seeing things where there is nothing but your paranoia.”

I sigh, taking my fingers to my temples to massage them. Not long ago we returned from the nightclub where we were, my wife put on a tremendous show worthy of an Oscar for the mess. We had to go back early because she just got jealous among our friends and started fighting with me without a real reason.

“Be rational? More rational than I’m being, stupid?!” She appears in the kitchen. Eyes shining murderously. Roseanne always looks like this when she’s very angry. I don’t even bother to keep looking at her; I know it doesn’t do much good to fight everything that comes out of her mouth. “Do you think it is acceptable for my wife to be giving attention to another woman in front of me?”

Take a deep breath, Lisa. Don’t play this game. Keep calm.

“Roseanne, my God! I didn’t even realize that someone was hitting on me. I must have just been polite.”

“Polite? Have you been polite?” Suddenly she is glued to me, pressing my body against the counter where I am leaning. I look down, looking at her face. I still have my heels on and our size difference is quite considerable at the moment. “Polite is the new way of surveying other women and letting them touch you?”

“You are exaggerating.”

I try to get away from her and get out of there. I want to take a shower and take off my clothes, lie down on my bed and forget about tonight. I thought things could be fun, but I was totally wrong. Roseanne stops me, using her body to keep me in place. Her face is red and she lets out a rudely breath through her nostrils.