25. In Happiness And Sadness

Roseanne’s POV

The next day did not dawn better than the previous one. We are sleeping in the guest room because our mattress needed to be washed and is now drying in the yard, however it may take a while because of the cold weather. But back to the most important issue in my life and that is causing me absurd pain: Lisa.

She is silent; she has been silent since we got back from the hospital. She spends all day that way, practically doesn’t get out of bed, only on really necessary occasions. I have bathed her because if I don’t, I believe she won’t either; due to her sadness.

It breaks me in half to see her so depressed. I was in charge of canceling any of her appointments. I know Lisa will need some time, and I’m taking care of her so that it doesn’t take too long.

“Can I go up to see mama?”

Louis asks me looking down. He has been quieter too, as if he knows and feels everything his mother is feeling. And I believe he is, the two have a very strong connection. I smile at my little one, ruffling his long hair that falls a little over his eyes.

“Sure, Louis. You don’t even have to ask, just don’t wake her up if she’s asleep, okay?”

He nods and goes back to eating his food, in silence, without saying anything else. We finished our lunch like this, and after we packed everything up, we went up to check on Lisa. I go in first, just to make sure she is dressed, and she is. Laying on the bed, looking through the open window at the snow that fell outside, her image looks as cold as the weather right now.

“Mama?”

The little one calls to her, approaching the bed. Lisa takes a few seconds to react, but then she looks at him and opens a small smile as well as her arms. This has made me more comforted; she never rejects or ignores our son. Louis quickly climbs onto the bed and carefully hugs his mother.

He has been very careful because he knows that she needs care.

“I’m happy to see you ate everything.” I comment when looking at the tray on the head of the bed, the plate I served is empty, she just didn’t drink all of her juice, but that doesn’t matter. “Want more water?”

“No need, princess. Lie here with us, please.”

She asks in such a soft way that it almost makes me melt, finding her more adorable. I don’t think twice about accepting her request, getting on the bed and hugging them as best I can. So the three of us are looking at the snow in silence, but for the first time in a week, it is not melancholy or terrifying.

“I love you, Mama.”

Louis says suddenly, a low tone as if it were some kind of confession. I could only hear it because he was so close. I lift my head and look at them both; she presses her eyes tight and hugs him securely, burying her face in his big hair. This image makes my heart feel warm, and gives me a guarantee that everything will be fine.

We have each other; to go through this difficult time.

“I love you, little one. I love you so much that it doesn’t fit inside me.”

I remain quiet, admiring the image of the two hugging each other so tightly. It makes me happy and doesn’t make me jealous; on the contrary, it gives me hope. These moments between the two have been rare in the past few days, to be honest, I haven’t seen much. Lisa has been so reclusive, I didn’t know what else to do to get her out of the room and try to cheer her up.

We spent the whole day practically like this, the three of us lying down, together as it should be. Lisa looked a little livelier, although her gaze couldn’t hide that inside everything looked broken.