16. Right Place

Roseanne Park’s POV

It didn’t take long to get to the park. And on the way, I watched my son’s excitement grow for going out to play in the snow. He seems to really love it when it’s snowing. Lisa also looks cheerful at my side, and I feel happy to see them like this. It is moments like this that make me more and more sure that letting her enter my life again seems like the right thing to do.

Even though our story has been lost inside me somewhere, I feel something deep in my being that calls and begs for it. It is like a supernatural force that even trying to pull me away it pulls me close again.

There’s no way to escape, but I’m not even running anymore, right?

“Park the car, Mama. I want to play.”

It is impossible not to smile at his extremely excited request. Louis is bouncing over the back seat, looking anxiously out the window. I look at Lisa and see her smiling too as she looks at him in the mirror; it makes me smile even more. We finally found a spot to park and free my little son.

“Don’t run, okay? Wait for both of us.”

Louis nods to Lisa’s warning and waits impatiently for his mother to get out of the car and open the trunk to get her things. When I leave, my body shudders slightly with the icy breeze that blows against me.

“Shall we make angels in the snow, mommy?”

“Whatever you want, my love.”

I mess up his hair and then hold onto his shoulders, keeping it close to me while we wait for Lisa. It doesn’t take long for her to come up with a suitcase.

“We can go, kids.”

“I should say that.”

Counter her teasing and Lisa chuckles. We walk to the park, and soon you can see how many families have their children having fun. The view is really beautiful. I hope Lisa takes pictures of me in this landscape, I will keep them forever.

“Somi is coming. I’m going to take some pictures of her and then can we do something?”

“A snowball fight?”

“Please, moms!”

Lisa and I face each other. A smug smile appears on her face and I raise an eyebrow at her.

“I’m in.”

“Me too. I hope you’re ready to lose big.”

I tease, making her laugh and I shake my head. Our son is in the middle of both of us, looking at us without understanding anything right, but too excited to care.

“That’s what we’ll see.”

“This is the real poster family of the lesbian community.”

A third, familiar voice makes Lisa and I look in that direction. My jaw almost dropped when I lay my eyes on that woman. I always found her very beautiful when we were younger, but she managed to reach an even higher level. Her confident manner as she walks and her short curly hair make her look like a phenomenal woman; I don’t have enough words to describe her.

“We are the perfect poster family even for the heterosexual community.” Lisa responds to her remark before hugging her. “Where’s Liam?”

“He went to park the car. Roseanne, it’s great to finally see you again.”

“How beautiful you look.” Somi laughs at my speech, and Lisa accompanies her. I shake my head and hug her, inhaling the sweet smell of her perfume. “It’s good to see you too.”