22. Better Days

Roseanne Park-Manoban’s POV

If I can say that I hate to wake up at dawn wanting to drink water and realize that I forgot to bring a bottle before bed, then I say, because it kills me. Another thing that catches my eye besides the lack of a bottle on the headboard is the fact that I realize that I am alone in bed. Curious, I take out my cell phone to check the time and I’m not surprised to see it’s three in the morning.

Where is that woman?

I get up from the bed and grab one of the terry robes hanging behind the door, we always leave them there in case we need to leave the room and don’t want to get out of our pajamas or put on something else. The whole house is silent, except when I reach the stairs and notice the light from the corridor leading to the kitchen, and I hear some sounds coming from there.

“What are you doing awake in that refrigerator?”

“My God, Roseanne!” She exclaims and jumps, removing half of her body that was inside the refrigerator. I frown and feel like laughing when I notice a red spot on her chin and another on the tip of her nose. “Do you want to scare me to death?”

I approach her with folded arms, without looking away.

“I want to know what made you wake up at this hour and why you are in the fridge. Want to cool down?”

It is inevitable not to give her a smirk; sometimes she really does look like a child and not an adult woman who has reached thirty years old. I unfold my arms to wipe her face from what looks like strawberry syrup.

“You need to stop scaring me like that, my heart is dancing in my chest.”

Giggle because of her exaggeration; this woman can be dramatic when she wants to.

“And? I can scare you whenever I want.”

“Funny. I felt like eating a cookie with strawberry sauce and cake.”

“I noticed.”

I say with irony and show my dirty fingers with the strawberry syrup I removed from her face, Lisa presses her lips awkwardly and looks away from mine.

“I didn’t even realize I was getting dirty.”

“It looks like you didn’t have enough dinner. This cake must be old, you shouldn’t eat it, I forgot to throw it away.”

“Nooo!” Lisa makes morning and grabs my wrists when I make mention of taking the pot that contained the cake. “It’s delicious.”

“If you like it so much then I can make another one, but this one is old.”

“Right now?” I look incredulous at her; I thought it was a joke, but the almost childlike gleam in her eyes makes me believe that she is very serious. “Please.”

I almost can’t resist her request, but I happen to be sleepy, I just went down to fetch water and go back to bed.

“Have you looked at the time? I’m tired, but I promise I’ll wake you up with a fresh cake filled with strawberry sauce, how about that?”

I close the fridge and walk over to her, placing my hands on her hips and smiling widely. Lisa makes a huge pout of disappointment, and it automatically makes me lean forward and seal our lips. She sighs surrendered and holds my face in her hands, returning the kiss with genuine passion. I feel her tongue smooth over my bottom lip and then I open my mouth, allowing it to invade. A breath of air escapes me when my starts to heat up. The rhythm of the kiss accelerates, and I know this is the time to break it.

“I want chocolate chip cookies too.”

“You want to exploit me, don’t you?”

We are still in the same position as before, but without exchanging kisses. Lisa smiles, leaning down to seal our lips once more before answering: