40. Stupid Wife

Roseanne Park-Manoban's POV.

I’m sure I’ll get traffic tickets after the journey to the hospital. It couldn’t be any different having my wife tossed and turned in my car seat. Even with the adrenaline coursing through my veins, I managed to stay calm, knowing it would do nothing to help me be so nervous. And despite being freaking out inside, I showed seriousness in the face of the situation to keep it under control. It worked.

“I better go out and call a nurse to pick you up with a wheelchair." I speak as soon as I park in front of the hospital. My wife doesn’t say anything, just grunts and squirms some more. She seems to be in a lot of pain. "Don’t leave there."

I speak out of habit without even realizing it, but the look that settled in her eyes made me shiver a little. Did I talk nonsense? I certainly spoke, because her answer made me shiver:

“Get outta here, Roseanne!"

If a human could growl at all, I could describe the way my wife just spoke to me as a human growl. She looks really angry, but I can understand her very well. I was also very bothered by the contractions in Gabriel’s pregnancy. On the way to reception I have to dodge some people, I’m panting, but I try to stay calm knowing that my wife will need me now. I must look crazy.

“I need help. My wife is in labor, would I be able to ask someone to pick her up? She’s in the car out front."

I’m slightly flustered and the receptionist looks at me with an air of amusement. It is likely that she is more than used to witnessing situations like this in her daily life. Despite everything, she quickly picks up the phone and calls someone to let them know the situation.

“A nurse is on his way with a chair for your wife. I ask you to remain calm, we will take good care of her."

“Okay." I answer quickly and without wasting time or anything else I go back in the direction my wife is. Its door is open and when I walk around the car I can see our little ones fanning it with their hands. It makes me smile a little. "Honey, the nurse is coming to get you. Can you stand up?"

She quickly shakes her head, letting out a painful grunt. Gabriel whimpers and tries to hug her, but I pull him closer to me, pinning him to my legs. The nurse doesn’t take long to arrive and that makes me relieved.

“Good evening, ladies…"

“Park-Manoban. I’m Roseanne, she’s Lisa."

I speak quickly as he approaches my wife to help her.

“I’m Gaby!"

My son suddenly exclaims and this makes the slightly tense atmosphere a little lighter, even my wife cracks a laugh through her grimace of pain. The nurse helps Lisa into the chair and begins to lead her into the hospital. I feel momentarily relieved knowing that she is now in safe hands.

“Boys, I’ll need your help. Aunt Chaeyoung will come to pick you up because the mothers will need to stay here for a while while their sisters are not born."

“Mom Lili okay?"

Gabriel questions as I lead them into the hospital as well. My son is making a lot of progress in his speech, but he is still not able to formulate some sentences correctly. It’s lovely to see him speak, but my wife and I always help him correct his sentences to encourage his learning.

“Yes my love. Your mother is fine, she will only need a few hours to bring new sisters for us. Do you want to meet them?"

The little one waves frantically, making his wavy hair swing with the movement. I confess that I tried to get him to cut his hair a little, but he didn’t want to, said he wanted to be like his brother. Lisa and I just asked the hairdresser to trim in front so it wouldn’t interfere with his vision, the same way we do with Louis. I love the fact that the two of them are close together, it’s adorable. I’m sure it will be like that with the twins too.