23. Everything Happens For A Reason

SPECIAL SCENE

Roseanne Park-Manoban’s POV

I don’t know how to explain why, but my discomfort after kissing Joy in front of everyone made me feel so bad that I couldn’t bear to stay there. It should be different, shouldn’t it? I should be happy; it was my first kiss, with the girl I have longed for.

But why does it feel like it was so wrong?

“Can I know why you left that way?”

As usual, Chaeyoung comes out of nowhere entering my room uninvited. I roll my eyes and keep lying on the bed, looking at the ceiling and reflecting on what happened at the party and what is going on inside my head right now.

“I wasn’t feeling good.”

“This illness has a name and you know it.” My eyes are fixed on my sister who is now sitting next to me, with her arms crossed and looking at me with her famous mocking expression. But there is something else; she seems irritated by something. “And don’t even think about saying I’m going crazy or something, you can fool yourself as much as you want, but you can’t fool me.”

“What do you mean?”

“Lisa.” I snort and sit on the bed ready to get up and leave the room if necessary. What I want least at this moment is to talk about that stupid girl. “Don’t even think about leaving here, I’m serious.”

“Chaeyoung, please, I’m tired, I want to take a shower and sleep.”

“Stop making excuses, be the woman that our mother raised you to be and talk to me.” I take a deep breath and lower my head, continuing there beside her. Chaeyoung knows where to reach in order to convince me of something. “Why does Lisa bother you so much? And it’s not even about the things she did to you anymore, because I see how well she has been treating you since she started taking care of our garden.”

“I don’t like her.”

“You don’t like her or are you afraid of enjoying it? Why do you act that stupid if you feel guilty afterwards?”

“I’m not feeling guilty.”

I roll my eyes and cross my arms; Chaeyoung lets out a breath and approaches me, holding my chin to make me look at her.

“Do you want to lie to me more Roseanne? Spare me.”

“What do you want from me? Do you want me to say that I finally kissed the girl of my dreams and realized that it was nothing like what I thought? That watching Manoban leave without saying anything is driving me crazy? Is that what you want to hear?"

Contrary to what I thought she would do, Chaeyoung smirked and stroked my face.

“You really can’t see things, right? Fortunately, the cleverness stayed with me.”

“What do you mean?”

Chaeyoung gets up from the bed and walks out of the room while holding her long hair. She turns around one last time before leaving just to say:

“You’ll find out in a few days.”

That’s all she says then left, leaving me more confused than anything.

Little did I know that days later I would really find out what it was like when Lalisa Manoban arrived declaring herself to me, catching me totally off guard.

The day I asked her to talk and try to make amends with her, I would never have imagined that things would end with her saying she was in love with me.