30. Everything

Roseanne’s POV

She is beautiful.

As usual to be honest, but I didn’t imagine that tonight her beauty would be even more evident. Lisa is impeccable wearing that loose light-colored dress, highlighting her skin and eye color as well. Her hair straightened with loose curls at the ends, little makeup because I asked her not to put on too much, I love seeing her almost natural.

My eyes don’t leave her. We are outside, all scattered in the yard. I have a glass of wine in my hand and I can’t stop watching her. She is across the pool, talking and laughing with her sister and my little sister.

I feel like an addict to her, that’s all I need. It’s her, it’s that smile, it’s that hair; it’s that careful way. I’m an increasingly passionate idiot, for the way she moves, the way she talks, the way she takes care of our family, everything. I could have run away, but there is something that holds me and keeps me here. There is nowhere else for me to go besides her side.

I knew that I would never be the same after taking a dose of it.

“You have that same stupid look.”

Only when I hear someone say that I divert my attention from her. With slightly red cheeks, I sip some wine before looking at my younger sister.

“What look?”

“The same as when Lisa won your heart the first time. I remember that at the time you started to get involved, you lived with that look every time her name was mentioned.”

“I think it was inevitable.”

“You think? I’m sure. Lisa always knew how to win you, which is why she is my favorite sister-in-law.”

“What about Suzy?”

“Suzy is close enough. Anyway, jokes aside, I’m very happy that you got it right.”

“I am too and I’m very happy.”

I look at her the same moment that her gaze hovers over me too; we both end up laughing. Lisa waves to me and raises her glass, which contains the juice of something healthy that I don’t remember; she is still maintaining her doctor-prescribed diet. Seeing her smile the day after yesterday is gratifying, but at the same time momentary, I know things are going to get complicated in the next few days, but we have each other and nothing else matters.

“It looks like those cartoons that have hearts in their eyes when they’re in love. I missed teasing you for being such a bitch for my sister-in-law.”

“Ally, have you ever fallen in love? Like, really?”

She chokes on the drink in her glass, I amuse myself with her reaction looking shocked, but I help her before my sister ends up choking and dying.

“What kind of question is that? Are you trying to discover my love life to have another fit of jealousy?”

I smile at her, caressing her face. Alice looks at me suspiciously, not understanding my real intentions behind that question, but its just curiosity. I need to hear from her if she felt what I’m feeling.

“It’s just a question, just answer.”

Alice clears her throat, taking one last sip of her drink.

“No, Roseanne. I haven’t fallen in love with anyone yet, and I don’t even know if I want to. My life is too complicated to have the emotional responsibility of another person.”

“I thought so too when I was younger, and I may not remember what happened all these years, but today I can be sure that falling in love was the best thing that happened to me. Look at all that I achieved with that woman, a home, a solid and happy career, a wonderful son.”