Sweet Sixteen || Part Seven - Padfoot

Another part for you guys! I really love the comments I've been getting on this story, you guys are the best.
  No warnings for this one, I just had fun with it, especially the dynamic between James and Y/n.
  Disclaimer: JK Rowling owns all of the characters and places, you own Y/n and I own my OCs, Sienna and Abby.

  Sirius honestly couldn't believe she'd said yes. Even standing in the Gryffindor common room five minutes later, watching her take in the crackling fire place and maroon walls, he found himself blinking to see if she would disappear. Coincidentally, she was wearing her oversized maroon jumper tucked loosely into a pair of jeans. Perfect for a visit to the red-and-gold common room, Sirius thought smugly.

The three of them — Sirius had to keep reminding himself that James was there too — moved across the room and sat down on the couches and armchairs placed around the hearth. To his delight, Y/n chose to sit next to him on the sofa while James took the armchair nearest to them.

"So this is the Gryffindor common room..." the girl breathed, her e/c eyes twinkling gently as she cast her gaze along the walls where countless paintings were hung. Old heads of house, Sirius had been told in his first year. There to watch over generation after generation of Gryffindors that came through the school. They were all either asleep or missing from their frames, of course. It wasn't like they had much to do, considering they were made of magic paint and all.

"Is it as magnificent as you expected?" James gloated, leaning back in the old, warn arm chair like a King reclining on his throne.

Her mouth pulled into a bemused smile as she noticed his demeanour, "'Magnificent' isn't the exact word I would use. Cozy seems more accurate. Besides, I'm a Ravenclaw. This place wasn't designed for people like me. It's only natural that I like my common room better."

James managed to look wounded enough that she quickly added, "I do like it though. Cozy is definitely not a bad thing. Could use a few more bookshelves though."

Sirius scrunched his nose up in distaste, "Why the bloody hell would you want to put bookshelves in here?"

She turned her head to look at him, "To put books on, of course."

"That doesn't exactly answer my question," he replied.

She laughed softly and shook her head, "You Gryffindors... your all so, outgoing. I don't think I've ever seen any of you pick up a book unless it's needed for class. Except Remus of course."

Sirius was suddenly hit by a pang of jealousy. Of course she knew Remus. They had a lot more in common than she and Sirius ever would.

"Padfoot, you okay mate?" James said, breaking Sirius out of his spiralling thoughts.

Sirius blinked to see Y/n staring up at him in concern, her brows furrowed together, casting a shadow over her pretty eyes.

"Uh, yeah. Just zoned out for a second," he muttered, trying to shrug it off like it was nothing.

James didn't seem to think anything of it, but Y/n gave him a lingering look of contemplation and concern. However, in a blink it was gone and she was supporting her usual expression of feint amusement and mischief. The realisation that he knew that expression to be her 'usual one' sent a wave of happiness through Sirius, drowning the jealousy until it disappeared from his system. It meant he'd spent enough time with her to unconsciously see patterns in her moods and facial expressions. It meant he was getting to know her, just like he'd wanted, and it only increased his feelings tenfold.

"So what did you boys want to do?" Y/n asked as she leaned back, her soft hair tickling Sirius's arm where he'd let it rest along the back of the couch. His entire being seemed to focus on that small point of contact, his fingers yearning to tangle in the strands and feel exactly just how soft her hair was.

James sat up excitedly and shot her a wink, "Has Sirius ever mentioned that I am an excellent chess player?"

His friend didn't wait for her to answer before rushing to the stairs that lead to the boys' dorms to retrieve the chess set his parents had gotten him that Christmas. Y/n shot Sirius a questioning look when he was out of sight.

"He's really bad," Sirius said, wincing at the memory of the long, endless night earlier that year where James kept insisting to play Moony again and again, adamant he would win.

"Is it wizards' chess?" She asked, shoulders shaking in silent laughter.

"Oh Merlin, no! He would be out of pieces within five minutes!" Sirius exclaimed, eyes widening in horror.

Y/n gave a proper laugh now, and damn him if it wasn't the loveliest sound he'd ever heard. If he wasn't careful, she would be the death of him. Although there were worse ways to go, he assumed. Ways that didn't involve one's heart filling with affection to the point where it wanted to burst out of the chest.

James came barreling down that stairs, tripping over the lip of the carpet and almost hurtling head-over-heels into the base of the sofa, the wooden case that contained his chess set on his hands.

"Are you ready to have your arse handed to you, L/n?" He asked arrogantly, puffing out his chest in a way that would almost make anyone believe he hadn't just nearly face planted on flat ground.

The girl grinned right back at him, that confidence and competitiveness that Sirius couldn't get enough of shining though her eyes like a wand light, "Those are brave words from someone who's never seen me play before, Potter."

Needless to say, James lost. Badly. Multiple times, and against both Y/n and Sirius.

By what must have been the tenth or eleventh round, he finally agreed to just give in and they played exploding snap until Y/n glanced at her watch and announced — somewhat sadly — that it was almost curfew.

"Can I hang out with you guys again tomorrow?" She asked, much to Sirius's surprise (and delight).

James had to pinch Sirius in the arm to remind him he needed to give her an answer.

"Oh! Uh, yeah! Of course," he stuttered, trying very hard not to blush like a tomato.

She smiled softly and bid them goodnight before walking towards the portrait hole. A second later Sirius was up and running out after her, not entirely sure what he was doing.

"Y/n! Wait!" He called once he'd stepped outside the hole.

She stopped and turned slightly to look over her shoulder at him.

"Sirius? What is it?" She asked, confusion evident in her tone.

He swallowed nervously as he paused before her, "I, uh... I wanted to walk you back to your common room," he finally said.

She smiled and bit her lip, surveying him in a way that made him want to fidget with his fingers before she said, "Okay."

The spoke in hushed tones as they walked side-by-side, not wanting to attract Filch or Mrs Norris. Sirius lost himself in the conversation, wholly focused on her. Her voice, her face, her emotions. The way she described the world in whatever book she was reading, with such wonder and passion. He was content to just keep talking to her until the sun came up, but eventually they found themselves at the entrance to Ravenclaw Tower. If Sirius hadn't been so enamoured by the girl in front of him, he would have paid more attention when the doorknob moved, the brass eagle ruffling it's feathers.

"So I'll see you tomorrow?" Y/n said softly, snapping him out of his daze.

"Yeah," he breathed. This clever, kind, brilliant girl in front of him was his soulmate. His soulmate. If she one day accepted that bond, then he would spent the rest of his life wondering how he got so lucky. How he got so-

His thoughts were cut off when she moved forward and gave him a peck on the cheek before disappearing through the door.

If it hadn't been ten minutes past curfew already, Sirius would have stared at that door for a long time afterward, replaying the moment when her mouth touched his skin over and over again.

  Finished! (with that part)
  Please comment of you have any thoughts on this chapter, I love seeing what you guys think of my work.
  Thanks for reading ;)