Chapter 13 (Breaking the Ice)

Alex is taking a swim on the beach the warmth of the sun is just enough for her to enjoy the water. While Tony and Chase occupied the swimming chair to watched her.

It's not that Alex can escape but they need to be careful. Alex is not in a good condition, she's living a life that she doesn't want to live. There is that great chance she might think to take her own life and the sea is really an option to kill herself.

That's why Ace asks them to look after Alex. "I won't forgive you guys if anything bad happened to her." That's what Ace said to them.

'I can't believe those two' Alex said to herself when she floats 'They're just looking at me and that is really uncomfortable.'

"Aren't you guys wanna join me, the water is great!" Alex shouts.

Tony just lift his glass of iced tea while Chase didn't bother to look her, his attention is on the book he is reading.

'Alright' Alex said. 'It's time to break the ice Alex' she said to herself.

Alex swim a little further when she floats in the water to check on Tony and Chase she saw Tony is talking to Chase who's still engrossed with whatever he's reading. Alex took the opportunity and execute her plan to break the ice.

"HELP!" Alex gasped; she goes up and down on the salty water, "HELP!" Alex tried to get some air and then she throws herself on the water.

Tony and Chase rushed towards her, they dive on the water and swim to her direction.

ALEX! ALEX! Both of them called her name when they float then they will swim again.

"I got her!" Chase managed to grab her arm he pulled Alex from the water, both of he and Tony are worried because Alex looks like she's not breathing. Chase lay Alex's body on one of the swimming chair.

"Alex, c'mon! breathe Alex please breathe!" Tony gently slaps her face.

"She's breathing" Chase felt a relief after he put his fingers near Alex's nose.

Tony pumps her chest right at her heart then observed Alex, nothing! he pumps her again.

"She needs air, it won't work without mouth to mouth resuscitation" Chase said.

"I can't do it!"

"What do you mean you can't she's dying!" Chase raised his voice.

Chase pushed Tony and prepares himself to do a mouth to mouth but before he can put his mouth against Alex she starts to move. 

"I got you there didn't I?" Alex said with a naughty smile plastered on her face.

Tony and Chase were surprised.

"You b****" Chase is obviously annoyed.

But Alex didn't mind Chase "You should have seen your faces" Alex said as she continue to laugh.

"Are you crazy?" Tony is angry.

"I know, I'm sorry I just wanted to break the ice." Alex laughs again.

Tony shakes his head a little while Chase is just staring at Alex, she's laughing, and it's a real laugh. Chase smiled as he realized Alex's prank just to break the ice, he started laughing with Alex. Tony also realized how funny the situation was pretend she's drowning to break the ice. Tony started to smile then after a while laughs with them, they all laugh out so load.

"Oh my god" Alex tried to compose herself from laughing but she can't help herself but to continue laughing softly. "It's been a while since I had a laugh like that."

"You are really crazy!" Tony said there's still a smile on his face.

"Friends?" Alex said and she reaches her arms to Tony and Chase.

They shook hands.

"Now you are going to join me." Alex start running in the beach, "C'MON GUYS!" she said.

"What did I miss?" Chloe just arrived, she decides they need a drink; she went inside to get a bottle of brandy and ice.

"The fun, c'mon let's join her in the water." Tony said, and they all went swimming.

***

A bottle of brandy in the afternoon is not really ideal, when they finished almost half of the bottle they were all tipsy especially Alex.

She's a bit noisy, cracking jokes, telling things about herself and how she met the famous Ace Merrill, then how she ended up marrying the guy as if Chloe, Tony and Chase didn't know that part.

"Can I ask you something?" Tony said.

"Well, I am drunk and there's a possibility that you might have an answer so fire away soldier."

"Do you think Ace is really a horrible person?"

Alex scoffs.

"Well kidnapping and drugging a woman is not really divine don't you think?"

"Did he do anything else? I mean after the wedding, has he done something really bad?"

"Hell yeah, he never drugged me anymore but he always ra..." Alex stops.

She look at Tony, Chase and Chloe they're all ears. She smiled.

"I don't think I should tell you things i shouldn't have to say Ace is your friend."

"Well you already told us things right? it wouldn't hurt if you tell us more." Chloe said.

"C'mon, don't ruin the moment, we're starting something here." Chase adds.

"Well, he..." Alex took a deep breath. "He always forced me to have...you know..."

"have sex with him?" Tony finished her sentence. 

"Yeah, that!" Alex snaps her finger she laughs softly then continue "There was this one time after the wedding...well... the next evening i was on my right mind. I mean I was thinking straight because he didn't use roofie or drug me and then... he started...you know..."

"He wanted to make love to you." Tony again finished her sentence.

"Yeah, but allow me to rephrase that." Alex scoffs "Making love is for two people in love and we're not so it's called sex alright! so... Mr. Ace started to give me the idea that he wanted to have sex and I refused... and then... we fought each other, I slapped him, scratched him with my fingers, punch him anywhere on his body...face, anywhere! and then I pushed him so much that he had to hit me." Alex eyes becomes misty "Two slapped on my face, left and right! And I stopped fighting and he succeeded and every time he wanted to use me, he would threaten me. He would say "you wanna play" or "are you gonna say no to me?"...he's awful!"

There's silence, none of Tony, Chase and Chloe said anything, so Alex continue.

"It doesn't have to be that way, you know?" Alex starts to cry. "He can asks, I mean... we're married and he has the right to F**** me anytime he pleases but can't he just ask me nicely. Why threaten me? Why hurt me if i refuse?"

"If things were different, is there a chance you would fall for Ace?" Chase asks.

"Why, are you planning to court me?" Alex jokes.

"No, I'm just asking?"

"You mean like if Ace is a good guy would I fall for him?"

"He is a good lad." Tony said.

"Really, well I wish I will know that good lad you're talking to. Would you let me meet him?"

Tony smiled, and then they all laugh.

(Again, let's not forget the word..."GENEROUSITY"...)