Chapter 26 (Determined Ace)

Ace talked to his father that he needed some time off to win Alex back, his father granted his leave. Ace rented the unit next to Alex at Nevada. At first, Ace watched Alex from afar. He just watched her every day for three days.

And he realized, Alex is really a different person, Tony is right! She barely talks to people. Alex is like a zombie doing things she needs to do to go on living. She's not aware of what is going on around her, maybe Alex is aware but she doesn't care.

AND SHE LOST HER TENDER SMILE.

One time, Ace bought something in the grocery. He intentionally paid to her register but Alex didn't notice it was him. She doesn't look at the customer's face, she just punches the item and that's it.

When she's home, she just stayed inside. Ace asks Tony to put some cameras on her unit so he can watch her.

He watched Alex asleep, ate, and cried while watching TV even if it is a comedy show.

"Oh, Alex" it breaks his heart. He made this woman life miserable.

"I will make you smile again Alex, I swear on our baby's body I will bring you back to life."

***

Alex received a delivery before she get to work, and another one at work and after she got home from work. It's all the same a bouquet of flowers, no notes. But Alex have a strange feeling it came from Ace, it's the same kind. Same flowers she got when she was imprisoned in his private island.

Alex throw the flowers, Ace saw that.

"It didn't work, Plan B!" Ace said to himself.

Next day, he picked Alex from her unit.

"What are you doing here?" There is annoyance at Alex's voice.

"I'm here to walk you to work." Ace smiled tenderly.

"No, I mean why you are here? Where are you staying?"

There's curiosity in her but Ace knew that the reason why she's concerned because she's annoyed at his presence.

"I rented the place next to you." Ace didn't get rid of his smile.

"Are you renting this one?" Alex points the unit to her right.

"No, that one!" Ace points the unit to Alex's left.

"And why would you do that?" Alex squint her eyes and furrowed her eyebrows.

"You will be late for work, we'll talk over dinner."

"Forget it!"

Alex left, he pursued her but Alex insists not to walk with him, Ace just followed her till she entered the grocery. That evening Alex was surprised because Ace prepared a romantic dinner in her unit.

"Are you kidding me, how did you get in here?"

"It doesn't matter, please Alex let's talk."

"Don't you dare give me that look Ace Merrill, it won't work, and your magic won't work to me anymore."

"What look? What magic?"

"Your compelling looks."

Ace smiled.

"And don't smile either."

Ace plastered a poker face.

"What do you want Mr. Ace?"

"Please don't call me that."

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

"I want you Alex, no, I need you! I talked to Michelle and she told me everything."

"Everything?"

"The soap, the accident, the festive dinner, the greatest thing that ever happened to you, Michelle explained everything to me."

Ace stop, he was hesitant if he will tell Alex about his mistake, the reason why they lost their baby, and then Ace realized he needs to, he has to, and he can't lie to Alex.

"And about the soap..." Ace looked at Alex, he look straight into her eyes. "It was my fault, I'm sorry. I forgot to pick that soap because I was late for work. It was my fault all along."

"Is that why you are here? You felt guilty?"

"No, Alex, please listen to me..."

Alex sat on the bed, she felt weak.

"Ace please..."

Ace stops her.

"I love you Alex, I was blinded by my anger. I thought...Oh Alex, I'm so sorry..."

"Your apology accepted, but I can't give you what you want Ace, it's too late for us."

"Alex listen to me...we can start all over again."

"No, we can't...Please go Ace, leave!"

The next day Alex left Nevada. The owner told Ace she doesn't know where Alex is, she just gave her key to her unit and left.