1.

Like any other week day, Carolina Black woke up to her alarm clock.

As she got ready, she contemplated the true consequences of not going to school that day. She quickly rationalized that school was important thus, she must go despite her not wanting to.

She made her way downstairs and grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl. Few minutes later there was a knock on the door. She opened it already knowing who it was. Being greeted by a warm smile from the tall, tanned 19 year old.

"Good morning." She said stepping aside to let him in.

"Hello." He replied.

"Why are you here so early? We don't leave till like 30 minutes." She asked Calum.

Both sitting on the couch at different ends, facing each other.

"Didn't know it was a crime hanging out with your best friend,"

"That would be me," Carolina replied arrogantly.

Calum rolled his eyes. "Are you coming with me today?"

"To what?" Carolina asked.

"Don't tell me you forgot, Carolina," Calum sighed.

"What? Cal, what? Forgot what?" Carolina asked annoyed. 

Calum just stared at her and let it sink in. Carolina gasped. "Soccer tryouts!!" She said snapping her fingers. Calum nodded, arms crossed.

"I'm so sorry! I totally forgot it was today!" Carolina said.

Calum just sat there eyeing her, disappointed his best friend would forget something important to him. Soon Carolina broke into a fit of laughter.

"What's so funny?" He asked.

Once she regained her composure, she replied, "I'm just kidding, Cal. Of course, I remember. Oh and I got you two little something's." Carolina said dashing off to her room. She came back with a medium-sized box with a smaller box on top. She laid the present on Calum's lap and saw a face form on his lips.

"I thought you had really forgotten and you didn't have to."

He carefully opened the smaller box first and inside was a blue and purple yarn bracelet with a soccer ball bead and his initials and Carolina's initials. He looked at her and said.

"Thank you. It's my new good luck charm." He said smiling.

"I'm glad you like it." She said grabbing the bracelet and putting it around his wrist.

"But I can't wait till you open the next one. You'll shit your pants." Carolina said with a smirk. Calum hesitantly opened the medium-sized box and jumped from the couch and tackled Carolina.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" Calum said on top of Carolina. Carolina giggling under Calum hugged him back.

"Hah! I was thinking you could use them today." Carolina said pushing Calum off her.

The box contained a pair of cleats Calum has been begging his mom to buy for him and a custom made soccer ball with Calum's name on it.

"Thank you. This must cost a fortune!" Calum suddenly stopped smiling at the thought of Carolina spending her money and a lot of it on him.

"Eh, I knew you really wanted it." Carolina simply said. Her family could afford luxuries and she wasn't shy about sharing her wealth with her friends.

Calum stuffed his presents into his bookbag and hugged Carolina once more. Carolina grabbed her book bag and headed for the door. 

While walking, Calum was relentlessly ranting, worried about his tryouts. Despite people constantly giving his soccer skills praise, Calum was never satisfied.