2.

Ashton had realized that Calum's eyes looked a bit red. And the smell radiating off Calum's body was all too familiar.

"And that... smell?" Ashton added.

"I, uh," Calum stuttered struggling to find a viable excuse. He was talking to the captain of the soccer team. This was definitely not a good impression.

"You smoke!! Hah! Great! Me, too!" Ashton exclaimed, fist-bumping Calum. Calum was confused and so was Carolina.

"Don't ever smoke on game day though, I will kick your ass," Ashton warned.

"Alright let's see what you got," Ashton said to Calum before running on the field. Calum looked at Carolina to reassure him that what just happened wasn't a hallucination.

"Good luck," Carolina shrugged and gave him a smile. Calum smiled back and pointed to their bracelets before running towards the players.

All throughout tryouts, Calum was regretting being an athlete. He wondered why he would even put himself through so much pain.

"Calum, mate. You're good! How about you come on the pitch tomorrow, for practice." Ashton said smiling.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Calum smiled, he made it!

"Alright, see ya then, don't disappoint me, Hood!" Ashton yelled, running toward the locker room.

Calum shook his head laughing, walking back to the bleachers where Carolina was waiting for him.

"How'd I do?" Calum asked chugging his water.

"Well, you made it on the team so I would say horrible." Carolina said with sarcasm. Calum chuckled and hugged Carolina.

"Ew, Calum, no! Get off me! You're sweaty and you stink." Carolina yelled between laughs. Calum decided to torture his best friend a little more.

"Calum! I'm not playing around! Get off!" Carolina laughed.

"Aye, mate. Oh, sorry to interrupt, I'd hate to be a cock block." Ashton spoke as he approached the two.

Carolina's laughter subsided and she turned red. Calum, looking at Carolina broke into a fit of laughter.

"Nah, mate. This is Carolina Black, my best friend not my girlfriend." Calum introduced her.

"So you're single?" Ashton asked smirking at Carolina.

"Yea but I don't date jocks." She replied.

"That can be arranged..." Ashton winked back earning an eye roll from Carolina. Carolina hated how cocky Ashton was being. Calum cleared his throat.

"I'm still here guys! Stop. You guys are basically fucking. And its gross." Calum said.

"Okay I'm gone." Carolina said walking away. "I'll wait for you at the front of school, Cal!" She yelled.

Calum chuckled. "So what's up?" He asked.

"Oh right! The boys and I are heading out tonight around 8, wanted to see if you wanted to come? You could get to know the rest of the team." Ashton offered.

"Ashton, sweetheart. Stop begging, I will be there." Calum joked putting his hand on Ashton's shoulder.

"Alright, goldilocks. Oh and make sure to bring your little friend, too." Ashton smirked. Calum shook his head laughing and packed his stuff. 

He ran to the front of the school and saw Carolina.

"Ready?"

"Let's go."

Once they got to Carolina's house she yelled, "Mom! Dad! Nope. they're not here." And she let Calum in.

"When are they not not here?" Calum asked with a smile. Carolina just shrugged.

They sat on the couch watching T.M.N.T. [teenage mutant ninja turtles] eating chips and soda.

"Did I forget to mention that I'm going out with Ashton and the team at 8?" Calum said.

"Yes, you did," Carolina said not taking her attention away from the TV. 

"Did I also forget to mention that Ashton wants you to go?" Calum added now looking at Carolina.

"Well, you tell that ol' Ashton feller that I said no." Carolina responded in a horrible accent.

"I can't force you to go but it wouldn't hurt to come. Please? I don't wanna be by myself." Calum whined. Carolina stared at Calum.

"Fine." Carolina spoke.

"Thank you thank you thank you!!!" Calum said with a smile. Carolina didn't let it pass that easy.

"But! If Ashton or anyone tries something, I'm kicking them in their balls and leaving. Got it?" Carolina said. Calum, afraid of disagreeing, just nodded.

In all honesty, Calum wasn't afraid of being alone he just wanted Carolina to come. Everything's better when his best friend is around.

Everything is better when Carolina is around.

* * *

boom, second chapter. this whole messed up sleeping schedule is making me more productive.

<3