Chapter Forty-One

The way Claude and Felix could lie to Evander so easily shocked me. They built the lies off each other's statements. We'd had no prior time to figure out what we were going to tell Evander. Claude and I just had to go off what we knew Felix had told Evander— that Leechers got onto campus and attacked the three of us behind the library.

Evander looked like he didn't believe us, but maybe because Claude was saying it too, he eventually trusted our words.

"I really don't know how Leechers got onto campus," Evander said, frowning deeply, "but I'll make sure to speak to the border guards. First hunters and now Leechers. How is it possible they made it all the way to the academy without being caught? How could they be so negligent? Especially with the ongoing peace treaty?"

I dropped my gaze, grimacing. I hoped we weren't getting anyone in trouble with our lies.

"Cleo, I can excuse you from class for another week, but I'm afraid you still have to keep up with your schoolwork," Evander said to me. "Unless of course, you'd like to report this attack to the United Relations—"

"Ah, no," I said quickly, holding up my hands. Pain shot through my side, but I managed not to show it. Claude glanced at me from his position next to my hospital bed, lips pursed. "I totally understand. I can get my work done, don't worry. It's not the academy's fault Leechers got through so don't worry. In fact, it's probably my fault for not staying put like you told me to."

Evander nodded. "I really appreciate your continuous efforts for seeing this peace treaty through to the end."

"Nothing will make me change my mind about wanting peace," I promised him. Not the students. Not the Leechers. Not the hunters. Not my father.

"Then I'll let you rest up. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you need anything. That goes for you two as well," he added, directing his words toward Felix and Claude, eyeing them in turn. Claude beside me, Felix standing in the corner of the room, arms folded across his chest.

Felix smiled politely as Claude waved Evander off.

Felix caught me staring at him and winked with one blue eye. He'd put new contacts in before meeting up with me again. I wasn't sure what he was thinking.

It was clear to me that Claude didn't realize Felix was royalty. That or Claude was just a really good secret keeper. But if Claude did know, why was he always so hostile toward Felix? Weren't they brothers?

I had so many questions but there hadn't been any time since getting back to discuss anything. I couldn't even ask Felix about the whereabouts of Sura, or how she was doing. I didn't know who we should let know. Claude, yes. Kaz, Adora, and San too, I thought so, but I wanted Claude's opinion first.

When Evander exited the room, Claude took my hand in his, not saying anything.

I froze, trying to pull my hand back. Felix was right there.

Claude just held it tighter.

Felix's eyebrows raised and he walked toward my hospital bed. "Did I miss something in the past twelve hours?"

"Your chance with her," Claude answered.

My mouth fell open. "Claude!"

Claude kept his gaze on Felix, face impassive— as if challenging Felix to do something about it, but Felix didn't look surprised by Claude's words. In fact, Felix just shrugged. "Yeah, I kind of figured that out already."

I hesitated. "Felix..."

"The second choice has to win sometimes, right?" Felix said.

Claude's hand tightened around mine and he scowled at him.