Chapter Forty-Three

"I'm so happy to be back!" I cried, falling on my four-poster bed in my original room. Then I shoved myself off it, going up to the tall windows leading to the balcony. "Sunlight! I never thought I'd see it again."

The library had been deemed too dangerous since there was only one way out of the study area. Something I thought they should have thought about beforehand, but whatever, I was out of there. That was what was important. No more room with no windows.

Kaz watched me with an amused smile on his face. "You weren't in the library for that long."

"Long enough. I swear the dungeon my father kept me in was better than that dingy library room," I said, opening the window, letting the cool November air in.

The smile slid of Kaz's face.

I grimaced. Maybe I shouldn't have joked about that.

"Are they sure we'll be safe here?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

"There will be more guards this time."

"What about Felix?" I asked.

Kaz's expression grew weary. "I managed to convince Evander that Felix should stay on this floor as well. I didn't tell him anything, though. Don't worry."

"Is Felix staying with me, or...?"

"With me," he said, sighing deeply. "Claude refused."

I didn't see that going well. "He can stay with me."

"No," Kaz said immediately.

I raised my eyebrows. "Why?"

"For Claude's sanity. Felix is so..." Kaz rubbed his forehead. "Can I even speak about him like that anymore? Is he really Claude's brother? It's almost unfathomable."

"He went through a lot," I said, unlocking the balcony door.

"Yeah," Kaz said, but sounded distracted.

"I hope that he and Sura can get along one day. But Felix can make that choice on his own. Is she all settled in now?"

Kaz eyed the balcony suspiciously. I thought about it, too. Would Kieran climb up here again? Would she go after Claude again? Would she go after me? Felix?

It made me uneasy. As much as I didn't want to believe Kieran would, I couldn't deny it. Not after she fought with Felix.

"Yes, she is safe and healing. Nadir was shocked, to say the least. But he'll keep her a secret until we're ready."