Chapter Twenty-Two

A cold shock swept over me

A cold shock swept over me. Claude had heard. But how much? Had he just heard that? Or had he heard about me searching for the secret heir, too? I couldn't deny anything that he'd heard either way. I would just have to come out with it. "How much did you hear?" I asked, trying not to freak out too much.

Claude didn't seem perturbed by my acknowledgment of his claim. "There's more than you killing me?"

"No," I denied immediately. "He only said that, but—"

"So, it's true. As I thought."

I paused. "What?"

"I didn't actually hear anything," he said casually, picking up the dagger he had given me the other day from its place on my side table and flipping it over in his hands. "I decided to give your tactics a go."

"My tactics?"

"Pretending to know something you don't to trick someone into affirming your suspicions."

"...What?"

The corner of Claude's lips lifted as he took in my stunned expression. "Not a bad strategy. Quite clever."

"You didn't hear? Anything? At all?" I asked, trying to process it.

"I had my suspicions about what you two were talking about. You confirmed one. And I'm sure I will be able to get an answer out of you about the other one. And depending on your answer, we will see how the rest of the conversation goes."

I didn't have time to say anything else before the weight of the Sway set on me. Not expecting it, I almost buckled to my knees, just barely managing to cling to the edge of my desk to keep from doing so. Claude walked toward me slowly, dagger twirling in his hands. I struggled to keep my chin high, watching him.

"What is the other?" I asked, struggling to keep my voice even. I hadn't felt the pressure of the Sway in so long, I'd forgotten how eerie it was. Like unseen hands pushing down on every part of your body.

He stopped in front of me, bending down slightly so we were eye level. "Care to guess?"

"No," I ground out.

"Fine, I suppose even a mouse trapped in a maze doesn't go for the same poison twice. At least, one would hope."

What was that supposed to mean? My muscles trembled as I continued to fight to stay upright, glaring at him.

Claude didn't say anything for a moment. Sweat beaded at my forehead. I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep standing, but I didn't want to give in.

"Did you tell him how to render the Sway useless?" he finally questioned.

It wasn't the question I was expecting. I momentarily lost my concentration, but that was all the Sway needed to take over. I toppled forward and Claude instantly reached out to catch me, the Sway disappearing the second his hands touched my shoulders.