Chapter Eight

I've been through worse

I repeated it in my head. I've had my fingers snapped in sequence. Broken, so they could mend. Broken again, so they could mend stronger.

There was no proof of that, but my father didn't care about things being scientifically backed. He cared about attestation. And to him, bones grew back stronger when broken.

I didn't flinch when someone grabbed my finger and bent it backward.

They didn't go all at once. Maybe it was some sick game to them, to pass me around. A slash to my forearm, a kick to my shin, a cuff to my chin.

It was child's play. I was fine.

I was fine.

"Look at me, human."

A punch to my gut. Bile rose to the back of my throat as I sunk to my knee and fought to breathe. I was fine.

Fingers threaded through my hair. I wished they'd leave it alone. How much had been ripped out already? How much time had gone by?

My mind screamed at me to fight back. I fought against it. Fighting back would give them even more of a reason to hurt me, would only result in me being reprimanded for violating the peace treaty. I couldn't do that. I wouldn't fight back. It wasn't worth the risk of war. The risk of breaking the peace treaty.

But aren't they?

It wasn't fair, but I would uphold it, even if they tried to break it. I could take this.

Eventually, Rehan had me again. His eyes were full-blown and gleaming. The sick smile never left his face, stretching almost impossibly wide. He trailed his fingers over my new bruises and cuts all the way to my neck. Then he curled his hand, restricting my airflow. "Shall we play a game?"

I glared at him.

"If you suffocate, you lose. If you don't, you win."

His digits pressed harder into my skin. I let out a strangled noise, now unable to take in any air. I grappled at his hands, opening my mouth to try and draw in any oxygen. He held my gaze, not blinking as I choked.

I could take everything else, but not this. Not this. I would die. He would kill me.

Spots clouded my vision. My nails dug into his wrists, drawing metallic blood but he didn't even flinch. Tears burned in my eyes. I couldn't breathe. My chest was on fire, frantically trying to take in air. My entire being felt alight in pain.

"I think I'm going to win this one," Rehan teased.

No. I didn't want to die. My limbs felt heavier by the second, begging me to give in. If I did, maybe the pain would stop.