Chapter Forty

"Cleo, wake up," a soft voice urged

My body protested as I came back into consciousness at the feeling of someone gently patting my cheek. "Felix...?"

"We're back."

I shot up with a gasp, realizing I was on the ground outside underneath a tree, and then groaned as my side burned ferociously. "Ow, ugh." Even my neck hurt as I took in my surroundings, my heart racing in my chest. We were outside the library. The moonlight cast a soft glow on the bricks, the sight so familiar, I almost got choked up. Somehow, we'd made it back. Alive.

Felix held his chest, a pained expression on his face. "We should get inside before anyone notices us. Can you walk, Cleo?"

I planted a hand on the dewy grass, being careful of my injured one, and managed to push myself up to my feet. Where I'd been stabbed hurt bad enough to make me lose my breath for a moment. I lifted up my shirt to check on the wound on my side, surprised to see it wrapped in a torn-up shirt.

"I did what I could while we were in the car, but you'll need to get medical attention," Sura said, answering my unasked question.

"Thank you," I said, doing my best to smile. "We should get you to Claude..."

Anxiety shot through me. Claude. My sister had come after him. The silence of the night led me to believe no one had attacked him— surely if they had the guards would be swarming if someone had. But that thought didn't lessen my panic. I had to see him with my own eyes. I had to make sure Kieran hadn't come. I had to make sure she wouldn't do that, that it wasn't too late for her.

Besides, Claude could protect himself. He had the Sway.

"Come on," I said, wincing as I headed toward the back entrance of the library.

"Wait, Cleo, take this," Felix said, handing me a dagger.

I looked down at it. "Where did you find this?"

"Your father's car."

I flipped the dagger over in my palm, frowning. It looked familiar for some reason. The embellishment and silver blade. Where had I seen it before?

I tested the door, feeling both fortunate as it swung open, and terrified. Why was it unlocked? I exchanged looks with Felix and Felix tried to brush by me but I held out my arm. "Wait. You stay back and protect Sura."

His eyes narrowed. "You're more important to me."

"Felix, please."

"...Fine. But I'm only standing behind by ten feet. That's it."

I'd take it. That was a decent span of space if they had to turn back and run. I hurried down the hall straight for the hidden common room, the pain in my side forgotten, replaced by concern for Claude. When I reached the door, I relaxed a little more. Closed. No sign of forced entry. All was quiet on the inside.