Chapter Thirty

"Are we together, Felix?"

Felix spit out his water, spraying it everywhere. I absentmindedly handed him a napkin. A few people surrounding us turned our way and whispered, hiding their faces behind books.

Felix wiped his mouth, eyes wide open. "Why are you asking me that?"

"Ah, no reason."

He looked at me skeptically, taking another sip from his glass water bottle.

"Do you love me?" I asked him.

He spit out his drink again, but this time right in my face, a light mist of saliva and water. He offered me a napkin this time. "What's going on, Cleo?"

I took it, dabbing at my skin. "Nothing really. Sorry."

He looked at his water dubiously. "I'm honestly afraid to take another sip."

"I'm done," I told him, crumpling up the used napkin.

He slowly raised the bottle to his lips. I waited. His lips touched the neck of it. I blinked. He tilted the bottle back. I opened my mouth slightly. He slammed the bottle back down. "You know what? No. You're doing that on purpose."

"I'm really not."

"Are you trying to get some kind of reaction out of me?"

"No..."

He didn't look like he believed me but didn't press the issue.

I bit my lip. "Do you want me, Felix?"

He went rigid and it took him a moment to respond. "Do you know even know what you're asking?"

"I have an idea," I replied.

"And if I said yes, that I want you?"

I frowned a little. "Could you hold me by my neck and kiss me?"

This time Felix flushed, shooting up from his seat. "Maybe we shouldn't have this conversation in public."

"Why not—"

He grabbed my arm, hauling me out of my seat. Startled, I snatched my iced latte off the library table before allowing him to drag me away. His grip was firm on my arm, warm. I glanced at his hand. Large enough to encompass my entire bicep. Slim fingers, prominent veins, clean fingernails. He did have nice-looking hands, but...

Outside, Felix and I made our way to his hidden gazebo. I pried his grip off my arm and put my hand in his instead, giving it a squeeze. He looked down at me warily. "What are you doing, Cleo?"

"I just want to see something."

"That involves me kissing you?"

"You don't have to kiss me. You can just pretend you're going in for a kiss if you want."