Chapter Twenty-Eight

"What did you say?"

"What did you say?"

Claude's voice came out cold and hard. He advanced on us and my mother flinched back. I stepped between her and Claude, trying to keep the space between them. He shoved me out of the way, using so much force I nearly fell over. I quickly regained my balance, but remained still, stunned by his sudden anger. His jaw was clenched, eyes blazing in fury.

"Tell me," Claude demanded, his voice dangerously low. "What did you just say about the royal family?"

"They're dead," my mom responded in a choked whisper. "They're all dead."

Claude gripped the front of my mother's shirt, yanking her toward him as she tried to cower away. "Where is the queen?"

"Claude!" I gasped, grabbing his hands and trying to pry his fingers off her. "What do you think you're doing? Let her go!"

"Answer me if you want to live," Claude said, unaffected by my attempts at freeing my mother. "Where is my mother?"

"Dead!" my mother cried. "She tried to run, but it was too late. She wasn't fast enough. He got her. I couldn't watch."

I glanced at my mother's contorted face, horror flooding through my veins. What was she saying? Claude's mother was dead? But everyone had said the queen was only imprisoned! Why did my mother think she was dead?

Claude shoved my mother back, away from him. She hit the wall next to the door roughly and curled in on herself, covering her head with her hands. He produced a dagger from out of nowhere, holding it up threateningly in front of her. "I will give you one last chance to answer me. Where is she?"

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I said, stepping in front of my mother again and throwing my arms out. "Back away from my mother, Claude. Or I'll make you."

"You'll make me?" he repeated.

I swallowed, holding his glare. "Yes."

Not a second later, my knees nearly buckled as he set his Sway upon me. I jerked but managed to stay standing. My mother collapsed to the ground, unable to resist the force of it. My muscles tightened and my shoulders trembled as I struggled to keep myself upright. It'd been a while since Claude had used the Sway.

"Stop it," I managed to get out, sweat beading at my forehead.

"Don't interfere."

"She's not in her right mind," I said, fisting my hands. "We can't believe what she's saying."

He gave me a cool look. "I'll decide that for myself."

I stumbled down, onto one knee, wincing as the wooden floor sent pain jolting through my joints. "Please, Claude. I know you're upset, but stop this."

"Why should I?"

I fought to raise my chin, staring up at him. "What?"

"What reason do I have to let your mother go?"