Chapter Thirty-Five

I thought about Claude's words for a long time

I thought about Claude's words for a long time. How he said things I needed to hear in a way that didn't criticize me but instead showed compassion. When he said it, I didn't feel nauseous. I didn't feel embarrassed. I didn't feel my heart sinking. Not like when Felix snapped at me and raised his voice.

Felix never said anything untrue, but...

But just remembering the anger in his voice, the edge in his tone, made my stomach churn. I didn't like that. I didn't want to be yelled at or snapped at anymore. Especially not by someone I cared about. Not when there were alternative ways to get what you want to say across to someone. More considerate and soft ways.

A knock came on the study door, startling me from my thoughts. Across from my position on the sofa, Claude sat on the loveseat, a laptop on his lap. We were currently working on missed school work. Or, we were supposed to be. I kept getting distracted.

Claude glanced at me, frowning, before standing up to answer the door. I also stood, unsure of who could be at the door. Adora, Kaz, and San all didn't knock. They just came in.

Standing behind Claude, I stood on my tip-toes to peer over his shoulder as he pulled the door open.

To my surprise, Felix stood there.

And to an even more of a surprise— he'd cut his hair.

"Your hair!" I cried, my hand going to my mouth, forgetting I was supposed to be upset with him.

He ran his hand through it, looking self-conscious. "I told you I was thinking about cutting it."

Disappointed colored my voice. "But it was beautiful!"

He raised an eyebrow. "Do you only like me for my hair?"

I moved around Claude to inspect Felix's new haircut, eyes narrowed. Gone was his little ponytail, any pieces framing his face. Nothing. All cut short with a little length left on the top. I reached out my hand and touched the back of his head, the hair soft and silky under my fingers. And while inspecting, I realized the roots of his hair were black. "You dye your hair?" I asked.

"Did you think the white was natural?" he responded, sounding amused.

"It's not impossible. Why do you dye it white?"

"Why do you dye yours pink?" he countered.

I finished my examination and came to a stop in front of him. It was then I remembered I was supposed to be upset with him. I took a step behind Claude again. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

Felix's eyes flicked to Claude before meeting my gaze again. "I came to talk to you."

I hesitated. "Why do you want to talk to me?"

"Do we really have to do this in front of him?"

"You came to our room," Claude said simply.