Chapter Three

San's words didn't bother me. I'd expected it. I wouldn't worry about something I had no control over, either. If San wanted to break my bones, he would, and I wouldn't be able to stop him. I could only rely on the peace treaty. I had to trust that none of the students of Maiestas Regia wanted to start a war. And if they did, well...

I already lived with a target on my back. No matter what, a day might come where a vengeful vampire finally got their hands on me. I would just have to trust in my ability to protect myself. And I did, for the most part. Even if my family deemed me useless, I still endured the ten-hour training sessions and learned how to fight, to guard, to incapacitate. I'd learned how to disregard pain and keep parrying attacks with a broken wrist.

The memory made me absentmindedly shake my wrist out, trying to get rid of the permanent stiffness.

Yes, I wouldn't be bothered here by anyone's words. I'd endured worse things than someone threatening my life.

Sighing, I tightened the gold ribbon of my uniform, staring at myself in the full-length mirror. Today Kaz would be giving me a tour inside the academic buildings. I'd been requested to wear my uniform. There were more pieces than I'd imagined when I opened my closet to see what it contained. Stockings, skirts, slacks, blouses, sweaters, vests, jackets... at least twenty items to choose from. All with the same golden patterns embroidered about and the school emblem on the shoulder.

I'd opted for the skirt and blouse. The slacks were enticing for easy movement without flashing anyone, but my dagger holster didn't fit around my calf and I didn't feel like chancing it again in case something like yesterday happened. It would work better attached to my thigh under my skirt. I pulled on stockings as well to protect my bare legs from the October chill.

I stepped away from the mirror and slipped on a pair of black vans. The students could wear any shoes they wished— the only part of the uniform where they were allowed to express their personalities. Unfortunately for me, I'd only brought black shoes.

What did that say about my personality...?

A tapping came from the door and I pulled it open, startled to find Kaz nearly pressed against it, his face inches away from mine.

"Coast is clear," he whispered, barely moving his lips. "Let's go."

"Clear of what?" I whispered back, shutting the door gently behind me. Good, Kaz wore his uniform too. I wouldn't be the odd one out.

He gave a pointed look at the double doors behind us.

I frowned. "I'm not afraid of Claude, you know."

"Everyone is a little afraid of Claude," Kaz responded, ushering me out of the hall and into the common room.

"It's just that Sway."