Chapter 12

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 2, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Anil was just leaving her room for the stables the next morning when Myri stepped out of the room next to hers. She was glad to see the healer; she had only been told by the servant who had shown her to her room the day before that Myri's room was near hers. The last time Anil had seen her, Myri had been walking toward the castle, surrounded by soldiers, following the prince as he was carried inside by two other soldiers. That was immediately after Coulta had been dragged away and just before she was escorted to the stables by two more soldiers. Grooms had taken the war horses, but she had been allowed to care for the two ponies from Windwick, much to her relief. The stable master had been quite kind and told her she could return at any time to see the horses, and had given her a room in the stables that first night.

"Good morning," Anil said with a smile.

Myri smiled back. "Good morning. I was about to go see to Wildas. He asked that I bring you with me this morning."

Anil nodded and walked with her. "He's better?"

"Still weak and will be for a few days," Myri explained. "But the poison has been stopped."

When they arrived at the prince's chamber a few minutes later, the guard outside the door nodded to them. "I'll make sure he's awake," the man said before vanishing into the room. He came back a moment later and motioned them inside.

Wildas was sitting in bed, reading a book and wearing a plain shirt. It was the only thing plain in the otherwise massive and colorful room.

"I trust you drank that tea I gave you?" Myri asked as they approached the bed.

Wildas put down his book to hold up an empty cup. "Yes, I did."

Myri set about looking at his eyes and touching his neck and face. Wildas put up with it, though Anil was fairly certain he was scowling.

"I'm not ill," he eventually grumbled.

"As weak as that poison made you, it would be very easy for you to take ill," Myri explained. "I'd rather not be executed for you becoming worse under my care."

Wildas snorted. "You wouldn't be executed unless you intentionally killed me."

"I'd rather not take any chances." She finally let him go. "I'll go make you another tea and let you two talk."

When she was gone, Wildas motioned to the ornate wooden chair near the bed. Anil sat down on the edge, feeling uncomfortable about resting her rear on something that certainly cost more money than she had held at one time. Then she remembered that she hadn't gone riding in the dress she wore, so it couldn't possible soil the furniture. Still, how could someone sit on something so expensive?

"I apologize for not speaking to you before now," Wildas began. "I don't have much energy yet and I had to report to the Second King. And get the situation sorted out with Coulta."

"Is he all right?" she asked, startled by her own concern.

The prince nodded. "His room is near both yours and Myri's, not the dungeon anymore. Have the people at the stables treated you well?"

Anil smiled. "They're all very kind. They let me care for my horses, and even let me help with some of the others. I enjoy it."

Wildas returned her smile. "I'm glad to hear that. We've sent a small group of soldiers to find out what became of Windwick, but it will take a few days. Myri has agreed to remain my healer until then, and Coulta has sworn himself to be my personal protector, so he will be here permanently. I've been told that both the master trainer and master breeder are in need of extra help at the moment, if you would like something to do for a while. Foaling season is just beginning, and it's also time to train the yearlings."