Chapter 32

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Wildas kept expecting Coulta to vanish at some point during the celebration after the wedding ceremony, the way he kept scanning the crowds, but Coulta never left his side. The fact that he remained watchful even while the wine flowed freely at the royal table made Wildas feel that, whatever happened in the months to come, they would endure. Even Coulta alone could keep them safe. Or so it seemed at that happy time.

They moved into their new rooms that night, though they all slept in the largest room, which was Wildas's. Apparently, if they all wanted to spend the night together they had to use his room, because none of the other beds would comfortably fit four. Wildas was simply glad that he was drunk enough off the spiked wine for it to be the incredible night it was supposed to be, and not so drunk that he couldn't remember it.

Coulta startled them all awake with a brief shout just before dawn. Wildas, who had been laying beside him, tried to soothe him awake. It took several moments.

"That's the worst nightmare I've had in a while," Coulta murmured. "You had just appeared when I woke up."

"I'm sorry," Wildas said quietly.

"I need to go for a run," Coulta added.

Wildas let him go and watched him with concern as he dressed and hid the marks on his skin again – it turned out Wildas wasn't the only one who liked them. Then he opened the window and climbed out, using the climbing spikes Wildas had allowed him to set there so he wouldn't be jumping three stories.

"Is he all right?" Anil asked from Wildas's other side.

Wildas gently took her hand. "I hope so."

***

Coulta's excuse for sleeping in his own bed for the next three nights was that he knew Wildas needed an heir and he didn't want to be a distraction. His real reason was that he didn't want any of his spouses to worry about him as his nightmares grew worse. The concern he'd seen on all their faces was enough to decide him that first morning. Wildas's dream presence came to combat every nightmare, holding Coulta in his arms and fighting off the shadows when they tried to reform. It was comforting, but didn't stop the nightmares he had already had from lingering after he woke up.

Perhaps Wildas had a stronger sense of Coulta's dreams now and knew what he was going through, because he looked like he didn't believe the excuse but didn't ask for an honest answer. In truth, Coulta really did understand that Wildas needed to father a son as quickly as possible, especially as Varin's threat grew.

Which might have been why the nightmares were worse than they had been previously. Maybe Varin was making an even greater move to attempt to take over Ryal. Shelton even seemed to agree with this, when Coulta explained what he was experiencing. It was the only explanation for why all of Shelton's spies had suddenly gone silent.

The fourth night after the wedding, Anil and Myri practically dragged him from his room and into Wildas's adjoining chamber.

"Enough of this 'not being a distraction' nonsense," Myri said as they pushed him through the door. "Wildas is going to die of loneliness if he doesn't have you again soon."

"We've kept the two of you apart for long enough," Anil added. "We'd like a night to ourselves."

Wildas had just walked into the room from his office and gave them a curious look. "What's going on?"

Both women released Coulta and turned to Wildas.

"We decided the two of you need a private night together," Myri explained, then gave Wildas a quick kiss on the cheek and left for her own room. Anil did the same and followed.