Chapter 30

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Three days before the wedding, after they'd dined together, Wildas presented his future spouses with their betrothal gifts. They each received a ring that symbolized their inclusion in the royal family. Coulta noticed the differences in each ring when Wildas presented them. His had a black stone set in it, with a rearing horse depicted on the right and a pair of crossed, flaming swords on the other side of the stone. Myri's had the horse beside a green stone, with the healer's wreath – the symbol of the god of healing, Rutsav, he'd learned – on the other side. Anil's stone was red, and was framed by two horses; one was the rearing horse while the other was galloping.

"They're unique to each of you, so they can be used as seals if you wish," Wildas explained. "The rearing horse is the symbol of the royal family. The other symbol represents your current status, but it will remain your seal even if that changes."

He held his right hand out to show them the ring he wore. Coulta had studied it on multiple occasions recently, laying with the prince at night. It was a much older ring than the ones the rest of them now wore, and even had a tiny chip out of the dark blue stone. The rearing horse had once been detailed but those fine lines had been smoothed out. The same was true for the crown on the other side, the points of which faced toward Wildas.

"Mine will eventually change," the prince explained. "I'll have the one my father wears, and this one will go to my heir when he's of age."

"How long has it been passed down?" Anil asked.

"It's the ring Ardan kept for Caolan until he was of age, the one King Caol wore. Back then, a new ring was made for each heir, to be part of a presentation ceremony after the child was born, but there hadn't been time to retrieve Caolan's before he was moved from Ryal. Caolan changed that tradition, too, and had a new one made for himself to represent the title of Grand King so this could go to his heir. Eventually it will likely need to be replaced, before it's worn completely smooth."

Wildas glanced at Coulta, who was sitting to his left. Coulta took that to be his cue and moved from his chair to the chest where Wildas had put the gifts after the jeweler had delivered them. He presented both women with the necklaces he'd had made for them.

"They aren't as thoughtful as what Wildas gave you, I realize now," he told them.

Myri smiled as she put hers on, brushing a hand over the smooth black gem. "Thank you."

"It doesn't bother you, coming from me?" he asked her. The fact that she could feel his curse was something he had known since they'd left Windwick, and he suspected it wasn't a pleasant experience for her.

She shrugged. "Now that I know you better, it's something familiar, not ugly. I'm not sure how to explain it any other way. And no, there's more essence from the jeweler's magic than from yours."

He nodded, relieved. "I'm glad."

"I love it," Anil commented as she put her necklace on. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

***

"I have something else for you," Wildas said once the women had both left for the night.

"I want to give you something, first," Coulta replied. He pulled another necklace from the inner pocket on his sword belt. "I wasn't sure if I was supposed to give it to you with Anil and Myri here or not, so I waited. Shelton suggested this because I can use it to find you if I ever need to."