Chapter 36

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

Coulta awoke from another dream about watching Teeya die and was stunned to realize he couldn't move. He was in no pain, but he felt so drained of energy that he could barely move his fingers without effort.

What had happened to him? Everything was dark, but he could feel soft sheets against his bare skin. So he was in bed, but if it was his own, Wildas's, or any other he didn't know.

"Coulta?"

The bed shifted as Wildas moved close to him, and Coulta wasn't sure why he was so relieved to know that Wildas was there. He managed to turn his head, but his throat was rough when he tried to speak.

"Don't push yourself," Wildas told him gently as he grasped Coulta's hand. "Do you remember what happened?"

Coulta wasn't sure if it had been a dream or reality, so he responded by asking in a croak, "Battle?"

He just barely made out Wildas's nod in the dark. "Varin led an army of magically-controlled soldiers against us. You stopped him just before he killed me."

Coulta cleared his throat. "How?"

"Shelton claims you called upon my ancestors to seek vengeance. He'll be able to explain it better than I can, I know, but the spirits used you to kill Varin."

That entire idea seemed strange to Coulta, but he knew he could ask Shelton for a better explanation. "Is that why I feel so exhausted?"

Wildas nodded again. "Shelton thinks it will take you several days to gain back your strength. Do you need anything now? Myri left you some water and some herbs if you want tea. She thought you'd wake up at some point and I offered to stay with you so she could take a break from healing."

"Just water," Coulta answered. "Thank you."

Wildas kissed his cheek, then slipped out of bed. He helped Coulta sit up, then held the cup of water to his lips. Coulta was annoyed by his weakness but didn't complain. He also accepted Wildas's help using the chamber pot without arguing when he realized he wouldn't be able to walk to the privy.

Once they were settled comfortably in bed again, Wildas said, "There are two important things I need to tell you." He cleared his throat before saying quietly, "Varin killed my father."

Coulta was stunned. "What?" he gasped. Even given the situation, he hadn't expected the Grand King to die.

He cleared his throat again. "Varin killed him, before he turned on me."

"What does that mean?"

This time Wildas drew a deep breath. "It means I have to become the Grand King much sooner than I wanted to. You're obviously my Second King, and Anil and Myri are our Queens. Tomorrow, just after dawn, we have the ritual pyre for my father, where I'll announce that Shelton is ruling in my place until you are strong enough for the coronation ceremony. It wouldn't be right to do it without you in better health, and everyone will understand that you used so much magic that it exhausted you completely. But you'll need to listen to Myri because it wouldn't be appropriate for Shelton to stay in power for more than a month."

Coulta nodded, still feeling overwhelmed. "I will. What else did you need to tell me?"

Wildas was quiet for a moment, then whispered, "When my ancestors' spirits used your body, they broke the curse."

That was a bigger shock than hearing that Deandre was dead. For a moment he could hardly breathe.

"Shelton didn't tell me what it means," Wildas added warily.