Chapter 29

[Note: This was originally included in Curse of Blades: Book 3, but as of July 28th, 2021, I began combining the 3 Curse of Blades books into a single one.]

They kept the bed curtains closed, but that just led to Star annoyingly calling their names to wake them up at dawn. After dressing, Coulta met his own personal attendant, who had arrived to take him back to his own room to freshen up before the meeting in the Grand King's office. The young man was a couple years older than Star and was, as expected, one of Wildas's cousins. He introduced himself as Ralix, though Coulta wondered if he had the title of a prince or not. He didn't dress quite as regally as Star, but Coulta guessed that could easily be due to personal preference or the fact that he wasn't the Grand King's son. He was tall and almost scrawny, probably not good in a fight, and had pale blond hair with gray eyes.

And he walked somewhat awkwardly, Coulta noted as he followed the man out of Wildas's room.

"What will you be doing as my attendant?" Coulta asked as they walked through the passageways, hoping to be friendly. If Ralix was essentially his servant, even one with high status, he wasn't going to be a cold master, or whatever he was to the younger man.

Ralix shrugged his thin shoulders. "Keeping your things in order. Taking care of your wardrobe. Fetching servants for anything you need brought to you."

"Where do you stay?"

"For now, in a room across the hall from yours. After the wedding all of us will have small rooms in the same hall as your chambers, with an inner passageway to the main bedchamber. I will also travel with you whenever you leave the city."

As they reached Coulta's door he asked, "Do you fight, too?"

Ralix seemed suddenly tense as he pushed open the door. "I'm not a swordsman, if you haven't noticed, but I've become quite good with a bow. Not that the archer regiment wants a cripple in the ranks. So here I am."

Coulta wasn't sure if that was meant as an insult, but it certainly felt like one. "I won't force anyone to do a job they don't want to do. I'll ask if anyone else would like to take your place," he declared, walking to the washbasin. Hopefully Wildas – or whoever was in charge – would allow a change in attendants.

"No!" Ralix replied hastily. "I apologize. I didn't mean to insult you. I just... I don't know how to explain."

Coulta turned to look at the man, and somehow knew exactly what Ralix felt in his heart. "You wanted to have real purpose in your life."

Ralix nodded and looked down. "Not that this has no purpose."

"It's just not the same, and I understand." He hoped he sounded compassionate as he asked, "What happened?"

Ralix sighed and lifted his gaze only to stare out the window. "I was thirteen, riding my father's horse during a pleasure ride in the fields outside the city. I wasn't supposed to be riding Starblade, but I unhitched him while my father was taking a nap in the sun. No one paid any attention to me, until I rode Starblade close to one of the few large trees. There was a beehive, and they stung both of us. Starblade panicked and my leg was slammed against the tree, shattering my knee, before Starblade reared and I fell. The healers did what they could, and I am grateful that I can walk at all.

"And I don't want your pity, either," he added before turning for the door. "I'll wait in the hall for you."

As Coulta watched the younger man leave, he realized what he felt wasn't pity, but a sense of understanding that he'd never felt before. Ralix's injury was a curse that had changed his life, much like Coulta's, though in different ways. Perhaps he'd have to tell his attendant about that one day. For now, he had a meeting to attend.